How do you name files?

Collapse
Canon
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My print controller truncates file names after I think 16 characters so too much info is actually a huge pain in the ass.
    Ideally, all I want in a file name for printing is the job number and the line item #. I don't care what it's called, and I don't care who the client is. All of that information is in my job jacket, so I just need a number to match it to.

Comment

Job Number - File Name. Nice and simple. Print ready files are placed in a folder for the operator to grab and then go into a printed folder for a week before being deleted (in case of an immediate re-print in bindery). Original files are stored in native format in their own folder. Re-make PDF's for reprints with the new job number.

Comment

Job#_Client_Desc
        New folder and copy of final PDF for reprints.

Comment

Well . . . we file ours alphetically in a folder under the customers name and then with a unique job number and then with the customers name, job description and any other relevant information that might help identify the file if its "misfiled". This way you are not required to go to your MIS system to retrieve a file for example, or if perchance your MIS system didn't have it entered correctly by job #you have a pretty good chance of finding it by looking at the customer and description alone.
          "If you think you are too small to be effective
          you have never been in the dark with a mosquito."

Comment

4OverStandard FinishingDuploSmartsoft (Presswise)AleyantCanonKBA
          4OverStandard FinishingDuploAleyantCanonGraph Expo4 PeesGTILabelexpoKBAKBA

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3530 users online. 47 members and 3483 guests.

Most users ever online was 6,597 at 10:25 AM on 04-20-2018.

Working...
          X