Automating the Conversion of all Text to Outlines in an AI or PDF document.

Tim-Ellis

Hello Folks,

.... deep sigh ....

I have a short term project for a client where despite all resasonable arguments to the contrary, I have to supply the same artwork file as AI, PDF and outlined AI.

The project involves working with some rival firms so using Pitstop / Pitstop Server / Switch etc is not an option. I need a common workflow.

Can anyone think of a simple, low cost, easy to impliment way to outline either a PDF or AI document without operator involvement.

We are mac based so we can use Applescript, Automator, Hazel or folder actions.

We have to assume that we will not have every font installed on the mac that does the convertion so opening the file in AI and running an Action is not an option.

oooh - by the way. I made a Droplet app that does the outlining via Acrobat PreFlight. The PDF opened in Acrobat is outlined but the AI part of the file is untouched so when opened in Illy the text is still live text. If anyone can suggest how to improve the PreFlight, that would be great.

__

psssst ... If all else fails we will all have to take it in turns to do a Switch 30 day trial - please - not a word to ABC ;)

Last edited:
If you save the PDF out of Illustrator without preserving Illustrator editing compatibility, and run the Acrobat Preflight to outline the text, it doesn't preserve the live text. Horrible workflow, though!

Thanks PrePressDork!

That's a handy little script.

I had hoped to find a route that avoided opening the file in Illustrator but I don't think I have any alternative.

Sadly, I believe you are correct. With the right combination of commands, you could probably build an Automator workflow as a Folder Action and leave Illustrator running in the background.

Best regards,
pd

Horrible workflow indeed! ... I've decided that it is better to spend my time getting everybody to use a PDF workflow than this nonsense. It will help everyone in the long term.

Is the idea that each company can edit the files without all of them having the same fonts installed, though? If so, chances are the first edit that's requested will be a text change. Ummmm...

Sounds like some fun up ahead.

Is the idea that each company can edit the files without all of them having the same fonts installed, though?

Thank god No. This practice was started by a previous supplier many years ago and no one dares question it just in case there is some knock on effect. We are late comers to the party and just a bit alarmed to find ourselves in a Dov Issacs Nightmare. When they said PDF, I knew it was a waste of time to ask which Standard they were using.​​​​​

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back