Converting 16-bit to 8-bit for printing - yes?

Gregg

I am still correct in thinking that printers will convert 16-bit images to 8-bit before going to press? This would be for CMYK offset printing.

I am still correct in thinking that printers will convert 16-bit images to 8-bit before going to press? This would be for CMYK offset printing.
AFAIK yes. But it would be better if you did the conversion yourself so you can deal with any resulting artifacts yourself.

16 bit images are overkill for an offset press. We typically don't convert to 8 bit unless the file sizes get too huge. A 16 bit image is twice the size of an 8 bit with no discernible increase in quality.

16 bit images are overkill for an offset press. We typically don't convert to 8 bit unless the file sizes get too huge. A 16 bit image is twice the size of an 8 bit with no discernible increase in quality.

You can get banding/shadestepping when going from 16 bit to 8 bit. Better to catch that before RIPping when you can do something about it.

Thanks guys. I guess a better question would have been: is there is noticeable improvement in quality when printing a 16 bit image vs printing 8-bit image? Seems that the answer in No.

I direct illustrators to provide 8-bit images, but often times they supply them in 16-bit. They must be working on some powerful Macs, because the files tend to be 800mb+ per spread.

Thanks guys. I guess a better question would have been: is there is noticeable improvement in quality when printing a 16 bit image vs printing 8-bit image? Seems that the answer in No.

I direct illustrators to provide 8-bit images, but often times they supply them in 16-bit. They must be working on some powerful Macs, because the files tend to be 800mb+ per spread.

Right, there is no printing value to 16 bit images. The value of 16 bit is for certain image editing functions.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back