QuarkXPress 2018 Announced

prwhite

Administrator
Staff member
Quark has announced QuarkXPress 2018. Arriving in May, they say it will have the following new features:
  • Easy to find Open Type controls;
  • Color font support for SVG, SBIX & COLR formats for print, PDF & digital outputs;
  • Upgraded font listing—showing font family and styles;
  • 5 hyphenation levels;
  • Native InDesign IDML Import;
  • Callas PDF print engine containing Adobe PDF libraries;
  • Tagged/Accessible PDF;
  • JavaScript v8 script-ability for automating repetitive tasks;
  • Support for creating unlimited IOS single apps for Android devices;
  • HTML5 export optimization—includes support for different type styles, HTML tables, anchored text boxes, grouped boxes & Tables, non-solid rules, footnote separators, and Index entries as Hyperlinks;
  • Digital preview improvements;
  • Streamlined user interface;
  • Vertical measurement palette.
Check out their Pre-order Offer going on now.

Be sure you find out what the difference is between QuarkXpress Pro and the Apple Store version which is not the Pro version.

Hi DYP,

both versions, the Mac App Store version and the version sold outside the App Store, are very similar. There's an FAQ page by Quark to list differences:
http://content.quark.com/MAS-FAQ-EN.html

Most notable, currently the Mac App Store version (called QX2018 Pro) does not feature JavaScript possibilities, that's due to come soon.

Other than that, functionally the only differences are due to the sandboxing concept of the Mac App Store, e.g. that the Kindle tool cannot be started by QuarkXPress but needs to be started by you (the user). So they are the same, just you need to operate them differently.

The license also differs:
- QuarkXPress 2018 can be installed and activated on two machines, MacOS and Windows. QX2018 Pro (the Mac App Store version) only on MacOS, however on more machines (same Apple ID).
- Upgrades are not available for QX2018 Pro, again due to the lack of paid upgrades in the Mac App Store (updates of course are).
- And promos cannot be valued for QX2018 Pro (currently a font bundle with fonts worth around $1500).

So once the JavaScript possibilities are added, it is more a question of which license you prefer.

Thanks
Matthias
(Quark)

Last edited:
It creates Apple IOS apps for Android?

Apple would love that ;-) Or Google?

Anyhow, seems to be a typo.

What QuarkXPress 2018 can do:
- Create Single iOS Apps
- Create Single Android Apps
- Create Progressive Web Apps (HTML5)
All without additional charge from Quark (App Store fees may apply from Apple and Google). As many as you want/need. No log-in or account needed.

Hi DYP,

both versions, the Mac App Store version and the version sold outside the App Store, are very similar. There's an FAQ page by Quark to list differences:
http://content.quark.com/MAS-FAQ-EN.html

Most notable, currently the Mac App Store version (called QX2018 Pro) does not feature JavaScript possibilities, that's due to come soon.

Other than that, functionally the only differences are due to the sandboxing concept of the Mac App Store, e.g. that the Kindle tool cannot be started by QuarkXPress but needs to be started by you (the user). So they are the same, just you need to operate them differently.

- QuarkXPress 2018 can be installed and activated on two machines, MacOS and Windows. QX2018 Pro (the Mac App Store version) only on MacOS, however on more machines (same Apple ID).
- Upgrades are not available for QX2018 Pro, again due to the lack of paid upgrades in the Mac App Store (updates of course are).
- And promos cannot be valued for QX2018 Pro (currently a font bundle with fonts worth around $1500).

So once the JavaScript possibilities are added, it is more a question of which license you prefer.

Thanks
Matthias
(Quark)

I was curious about the App store and the limitations for how many devices you could install it on. I guess if you are a company using Quark and have a bunch of people using the software it would be cheaper to buy once through the App store and install on all the computers needed with the same Apple ID. No upgrade pricing but it still must be cheaper buying one full version that you can use with multiple computers. Not sure if Apple even has a limit.

@wonderings,

the license agreement allows you to install on two computers, given that the same user is using it and that the same Apple ID is used.

Whether Apple controls whether you can install on more computers, I don't know, never tried.

Here's what Apple says about their own app:
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202413

On how many computers can I install Final Cut Pro X?
The Final Cut Pro X license agreement states:

“…you have the right to use the Apple Software as permitted by the Mac App Store Product Usage Rules set forth in the App Store Terms and Conditions (http://www.apple.com/legal/itunes/ww/) (“Usage Rules”), and are granted a limited, non-transferable, non-exclusive license:

“(i) to download, install, use and run for personal, non-commercial use, one (1) copy of the Apple Software directly on each Apple-branded computer running OS X (“Mac Computer”) that you own or control…

“(ii) if you are a commercial enterprise or educational institution, to download, install, use and run one (1) copy of the Apple Software for use either: (a) by a single individual on each of the Mac Computer(s) that you own or control, or (b) by multiple individuals on a single shared Mac Computer that you own or control. For example, a single employee may use the Apple Software on both the employee’s desktop Mac Computer and laptop Mac Computer, or multiple students may serially use the Apple Software on a single Mac Computer located at a resource center or library.”

For complete details, view the Final Cut Pro X License Agreement.

I know that you can authorize only 5 computers total to be able to download Apps purchased by your AppleID.

That makes sense, forgot about that DRM for the iTunes music purchases. Still if you were able to run Quark on 5 devices at once with the same Apple ID it would be cheaper buying it that way albeit not exactly legal per their fine print.

Hi DYP,

Thanks
Matthias
(Quark)

So if I'm understanding this correctly, I can install Quark2018 from he mac store on 5 devices with the same Apple ID and run them simultaneously?

Quark why? Very few companies use this antiquated software anymore. Indesign is king, sorry Quark

I agree, though I am much more open for a new standard when it comes to page layout. Not happy with Adobes forced subscription model that basically locks you into their services. Been a CC member for 3 or 4 years and if I stop now I have zero software to show for that time but lots of files that can only be opened by their rent only software. At very least I should be able to keep the last years version if I cancel, but they know they have you so why would they want to give us options that do not involve constantly paying them money?

Hopefully Affinity Publisher will be a valid option. I've been using the Beta version and so far it's been great - but it currently has a few showstopper bugs that I hope they can fix.

Hopefully Affinity Publisher will be a valid option. I've been using the Beta version and so far it's been great - but it currently has a few showstopper bugs that I hope they can fix.

I think it will be a long time before Publisher (worst name ever) will be even close to taking over from Indesign. So many features are not even on their radar or plans. No variable data and no preflight are 2 big ones for me. I have not kept up to date with the PDF handling but it was not good, had a lot of problems with PDF's that were made (poorly) that Indesign had no issue with at all. Can always hope, but from the time I spent on the forums it does not seem to me like they want to be the big name in this space, they want to be an affordable piece of software for the not so pro user base.

Can always hope, but from the time I spent on the forums it does not seem to me like they want to be the big name in this space, they want to be an affordable piece of software for the not so pro user base.

Lol, that's what the industry needs.
Yet another cheap piece of software that writes crappy PDF's.

You’re comparing an app in beta to a mature, decades old app. If Publisher can do what 90% of publishers need getting done (at a much lower cost) then it’s a viable alternative to InDesign. As I wrote before, it does have a few showstopper bugs in its current version, but, IMHO, they are fixable, and the development team is very response to user input. BTW, not every pro needs variable data functionality.

They are intentionally not adding more features to Publisher. Publisher has it's own purpose.

Also. I bet Microsoft will buy out Adobe within the next two years. They won't change much, but it's basically a natural move for Microsoft to make at this point, to compete with companies such as Salesforce. I bet Publisher will go away or be merged with InCopy.

Last edited:

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back