QuarkXPress 2018 Announced

Collapse
Canon
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hopefully Affinity Publisher will be a valid option. I've been using the Beta version and so far it's been great - but it currently has a few showstopper bugs that I hope they can fix.

Comment

Originally posted by gordo View Post
      Hopefully Affinity Publisher will be a valid option. I've been using the Beta version and so far it's been great - but it currently has a few showstopper bugs that I hope they can fix.
      I think it will be a long time before Publisher (worst name ever) will be even close to taking over from Indesign. So many features are not even on their radar or plans. No variable data and no preflight are 2 big ones for me. I have not kept up to date with the PDF handling but it was not good, had a lot of problems with PDF's that were made (poorly) that Indesign had no issue with at all. Can always hope, but from the time I spent on the forums it does not seem to me like they want to be the big name in this space, they want to be an affordable piece of software for the not so pro user base.

Comment

Originally posted by wonderings View Post

Can always hope, but from the time I spent on the forums it does not seem to me like they want to be the big name in this space, they want to be an affordable piece of software for the not so pro user base.
        Lol, that's what the industry needs.
        Yet another cheap piece of software that writes crappy PDF's.

Comment

You’re comparing an app in beta to a mature, decades old app. If Publisher can do what 90% of publishers need getting done (at a much lower cost) then it’s a viable alternative to InDesign. As I wrote before, it does have a few showstopper bugs in its current version, but, IMHO, they are fixable, and the development team is very response to user input. BTW, not every pro needs variable data functionality.

Comment

They are intentionally not adding more features to Publisher. Publisher has it's own purpose.

Also. I bet Microsoft will buy out Adobe within the next two years. They won't change much, but it's basically a natural move for Microsoft to make at this point, to compete with companies such as Salesforce. I bet Publisher will go away or be merged with InCopy.
            Last edited by PricelineNegotiator; 11-29-2018, 07:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by PricelineNegotiator View Post
              They are intentionally not adding more features to Publisher. Publisher has it's own purpose.

Also. I bet Microsoft will buy out Adobe within the next two years. They won't change much, but it's basically a natural move for Microsoft to make at this point, to compete with companies such as Salesforce. I bet Publisher will go away or be merged with InCopy.
              Wow! That’s a lot of speculation. Fake news!
              Last edited by gordo; 11-30-2018, 10:14 AM.

Comment

Why would Microsoft buy Adobe? It would not be an add-on to office, does not feel like it would make sense for Microsoft to also be running the largest graphic design software suite.

How does Adobe CC compete or match salesforce?

Comment

https://seekingalpha.com/article/422...ally-buy-adobe

Here's an actually quite recent article pertaining to my comment. It does a good job re-hashing what I said, but mostly expanding on it. Basically, Microsoft already provides a lot of Cloud-based software. Adobe is already hosted on Azure, and I think that Microsoft sees value in the CRM/marketing products where Adobe competes with Salesforce. Adobe's AI system is probably attractive to Microsoft as well.

Comment

https://seekingalpha.com/article/422...ally-buy-adobe

Here's an actually quite recent article pertaining to my comment. It does a good job re-hashing what I said, but mostly expanding on it. Basically, Microsoft already provides a lot of Cloud-based software. Adobe is already hosted on Azure, and I think that Microsoft sees value in the CRM/marketing products where Adobe competes with Salesforce. Adobe's AI system is probably attractive to Microsoft as well.
                    Don't get caught up in the InDesign and Illustrator, the acquisition would be much more than that...Photoshop and Acrobat are HUGE assets, the same with Flash player, along with the fore mentioned CRM capabilities of Adobe.

Comment

Don't get caught up in the InDesign and Illustrator, the acquisition would be much more than that...Photoshop and Acrobat are HUGE assets, the same with Flash player, along with the fore mentioned CRM capabilities of Adobe.
                      I'll give you Photoshop and Acrobat, but Flash? Flash is dead... Everything is HTML5 now.

Comment

Not everything. Flash still makes money, therefore it is an asset. Also, it would be good for Microsoft to acquire employees that work on Flash.

I would agree that everything is switching to HTML5, but try going onto HBO's "Go" website and look at what player they are using.

Comment

Not everything. Flash still makes money, therefore it is an asset. Also, it would be good for Microsoft to acquire employees that work on Flash.

I would agree that everything is switching to HTML5, but try going onto HBO's "Go" website and look at what player they are using.
                          It is a shrinking market. I am guessing most people are not watching HBO Go on a desktop or laptop but using a phone or tablet. And if they are using Apple they are certainly not using flash. Do Android phones and tablets use flash natively? It is still there, annoyingly so, I hate the pop ups that constantly ask me to update my flash. I made the mistake of activating it for a website that has not been updated in ages and forgot to turn it off again. I had done an update when I first got the pop up for that webpage but then maybe a week or 2 later it pops up again with another update.

Comment

Flash -should- be dead but isn't yet. Tell that to EFI, whose Pace MIS still uses it.

Comment

4over still uses it.

Comment

We accept Quark files but it is best to flatten these files, Adobe files are preferred.

Comment

4OverCanonKBAAvantiXeroxSmartsoft (Presswise)DuploAMSEnfocus

Free Download

Collapse

Trade Show Survey=
                                Instant October Trade Show Survey
                                Come On! Only 5 Questions

PRINT 19 and PRINTING United are squaring off in October.
                                Will you be at one of them?
                                Both? Neither?
                                Please take our 1-Minute survey to tell us about your plans for the two big fall shows!

Take The Survey.

CanonXeroxSmartsoft (Presswise)DuploAvantiGraph Expo4OverKBAAMSAvantiEnfocusGraph Expo

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5296 users online. 91 members and 5205 guests.

Most users ever online was 6,855 at 12:33 PM on 06-06-2019.

Working...
                                X