QuarkXPress 2018 Announced

They are intentionally not adding more features to Publisher. Publisher has it's own purpose.

Also. I bet Microsoft will buy out Adobe within the next two years. They won't change much, but it's basically a natural move for Microsoft to make at this point, to compete with companies such as Salesforce. I bet Publisher will go away or be merged with InCopy.

Wow! That’s a lot of speculation. Fake news!

Last edited:
They are intentionally not adding more features to Publisher. Publisher has it's own purpose.

Also. I bet Microsoft will buy out Adobe within the next two years. They won't change much, but it's basically a natural move for Microsoft to make at this point, to compete with companies such as Salesforce. I bet Publisher will go away or be merged with InCopy.

Why would Microsoft buy Adobe? It would not be an add-on to office, does not feel like it would make sense for Microsoft to also be running the largest graphic design software suite.

How does Adobe CC compete or match salesforce?

https://seekingalpha.com/article/4223281-microsoft-potentially-buy-adobe

Here's an actually quite recent article pertaining to my comment. It does a good job re-hashing what I said, but mostly expanding on it. Basically, Microsoft already provides a lot of Cloud-based software. Adobe is already hosted on Azure, and I think that Microsoft sees value in the CRM/marketing products where Adobe competes with Salesforce. Adobe's AI system is probably attractive to Microsoft as well.

https://seekingalpha.com/article/4223281-microsoft-potentially-buy-adobe

Here's an actually quite recent article pertaining to my comment. It does a good job re-hashing what I said, but mostly expanding on it. Basically, Microsoft already provides a lot of Cloud-based software. Adobe is already hosted on Azure, and I think that Microsoft sees value in the CRM/marketing products where Adobe competes with Salesforce. Adobe's AI system is probably attractive to Microsoft as well.

Don't get caught up in the InDesign and Illustrator, the acquisition would be much more than that...Photoshop and Acrobat are HUGE assets, the same with Flash player, along with the fore mentioned CRM capabilities of Adobe.

Don't get caught up in the InDesign and Illustrator, the acquisition would be much more than that...Photoshop and Acrobat are HUGE assets, the same with Flash player, along with the fore mentioned CRM capabilities of Adobe.

I'll give you Photoshop and Acrobat, but Flash? Flash is dead... Everything is HTML5 now.

Not everything. Flash still makes money, therefore it is an asset. Also, it would be good for Microsoft to acquire employees that work on Flash.

I would agree that everything is switching to HTML5, but try going onto HBO's "Go" website and look at what player they are using.

Not everything. Flash still makes money, therefore it is an asset. Also, it would be good for Microsoft to acquire employees that work on Flash.

I would agree that everything is switching to HTML5, but try going onto HBO's "Go" website and look at what player they are using.

It is a shrinking market. I am guessing most people are not watching HBO Go on a desktop or laptop but using a phone or tablet. And if they are using Apple they are certainly not using flash. Do Android phones and tablets use flash natively? It is still there, annoyingly so, I hate the pop ups that constantly ask me to update my flash. I made the mistake of activating it for a website that has not been updated in ages and forgot to turn it off again. I had done an update when I first got the pop up for that webpage but then maybe a week or 2 later it pops up again with another update.

I also accept Quark. I may not like it much, but the bottom line is that some of my customers use it so I must support it.

pd

I also accept Quark. I may not like it much, but the bottom line is that some of my customers use it so I must support it.

pd

I am glad none of our customers use Quark because we would do the same thing. We get the odd Corel file every now and then. Have a virtual machine with Corel 8 running just for those times or I use an online converter. If more started coming though I would have to get that software as well and I hate Corel more then Quark, though I think that is because they do things completely different, especially with scrolling which zooms in and out and is super frustrating to use when used to Adobe.

I am glad none of our customers use Quark because we would do the same thing. We get the odd Corel file every now and then. Have a virtual machine with Corel 8 running just for those times or I use an online converter. If more started coming though I would have to get that software as well and I hate Corel more then Quark, though I think that is because they do things completely different, especially with scrolling which zooms in and out and is super frustrating to use when used to Adobe.

Part of our company still uses Quark. We use it for in house files and files sent out to an offset shop. They’ve never once complained about a file and the product always comes back looking great. I never really have a problem with our in house files. We do use in design for more complex pieces though. I’m actually going to be upgrading to the newest quark soon.

I can think of zero times we have received a Quark file from the outside, but my predecessor was one of the last Quark diehards and wholeheartedly refused to use Indesign...so when I took his position I spent the next 2 years updating various repeat jobs and templates as I went, to the point where I almost never open Quark. We used to have all kind of PDF problems that seem to have disappeared completely in the process. We never bought into Adobe subscription either, so we are basically sitting at CS 5.5 which for us is a good place to be...not really missing any daily features, except for the rare customer that brings in a CC file that I can't open.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back