New shop - First volume job

proditus

Hello everyone,

We bought our ImagePress C6010 3 months ago and been running small jobs like 1000 sheets/job. We just got an order for a large volume - at least this is what looks to us :) It is an order of 1000 books, 140 pages/book , so 35000 sheets, duplexed ! We bought our machine used and has about 674K clicks on it. We are kind of concerned on running this job because we don't know what to expect as this is our very first large job.
So, I need help in how to run this job.

I would appreciate any kind of advise and help and why not, for a remote, local one on one help I am willing also to pay.

Thanks

See what your click charge is VS farming it out to a Trade Printer..... Just guessing it would cost less to farm it to either a web or offset joint

Proditus, you need to give us a little more info.

Is it color or b&w?
What's the size of the book pages? 8.5 x 11?, 6 x 9?
Is there a possibility of printing them multiple up? (2-up on 12 x 18, etc.)?
What's the finishing on the books? Are they saddle-stitched?
Does your C6010 have in line finishing (an inline booklet maker), or, will you be finishing off-line?
If it has inline finishing, what's the max number of pages at your substrate, will the booklet maker handle?
How long do you have to produce the job?

Then, as Manafaith stated, estimate your costs (paper, clicks, operator time, machine lease payment, etc.). Then, get a cost from a trade printer. It may be cheaper to farm it out, and just take the profit off the top.

I would consider this to big for digital and I have a canon c6011 assuming its 5.5x8.5 saddle stitch, but we also have a full press room. IMO Be ready to make a service call during the run.

I got a price from a trade printer $6.1/book. The book is letter size, perfect bound, softcover and laminated or UV coated. I dont have any click charge as I bought the machine up front and not yet on a contract. Been quoted by Canon for 5.7c/click. Even though I have an inline canon perfect binder and a UV coater offline I am hesitating in running this job on this machine. Thank you for your input and looking forward to hear more.

I would consider this to big for digital and I have a canon c6011 assuming its 5.5x8.5 saddle stitch, but we also have a full press room. IMO Be ready to make a service call during the run.

Thanks Bill. We bought this to run yearbooks. Each run is 60-150 books with an average 25 sheets 12x18 duplexed. Would that be acceptable volume for these machines ? Thanks

That volume, yes thats close to 10% of the clicks of your large job right.
I love my canon. I started with the c6010 5 years ago and love the 6011 there's not alot of difference but it got me out of a high click box. I don't do any in line finishing, how do you like your perfect binder?

I have an offer on a C6011 to swap with the one I have here from the same wholesaler plus some cash. the C6011 has 2 mil clicks on Counter 2. Is it worth the upgrade ? I have full boat config(stacker, binder, saddle finisher and booklet trimmer). On top of that I have another C7010vp that bought it just for parts. Perfect binder been running some books but not 100s :) I was told the canon binder is a nightmare. Thanks God I come from hardcore electronics repair world and I had to repair (yes, repair lol) a couple of IR sensors because I was getting all sorts of errors on engine startup. I love the quality of these machines. We do school photo books and it has been amazing.

I wouldn't at those click counts. Your electronic background probably gives you a heads up on a lot of us operators but I equate clicks to miles on used car and the 6011 has gotten more use.

We have 7.6 million clicks on our 6010. It breaks down a lot these days, but I'm not sure 2 million would really turn me off. Especially since the 6011 was supposed to improve some faults of the 6010.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back