Industry Bleed Standard

Collapse
CanonKonica Minolta
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've had designers ask what bleed is. When you explain it to them the first thing our of their mouth is "If you would trim it correctly you wouldn't need bleed"!
    Joe
    OS: Mac OS X 10.10.2 - RIP: Prinergy Connect 6.1 - CTP: Luscher XPose! 160 (2)

Comment

Originally posted by PricelineNegotiator View Post
      Of course there are different bleed specifications for different products. Typical small format prints like business cards, flyers, and 11 x 17" posters, all being produced on something like a digital press will typically call for .125" bleeds. Yes, we do request .25" or .5" bleeds for wide format products, but I guess those are more or less exceptions to the rule, being that the other items are the most prominent items that a printer (or at least the majority of printers on this forum) produce. Therefore you could infer that .125" is more or less the standard for bleed requirements, with the other items needing clarification when needed. Yes, we do run many jobs with .0625" bleeds, like 4 x 9" rack cards (4.125 x 9.125"), 6 up on a 13 x 19" sheet. But I can bring the file from .125" bleeds to .0625" on my end for a specific project. That's something my client shouldn't know about - it will just confuse them.

Yes, he thinks that .0625" bleeds on all sides is normal and that I am some dumb hick printer that doesn't know how to run my machinery with better tolerance. For all we know that is totally true, but at least we can all agree that his call on me requiring .125" bleeds is far from being an absurd request.
      0.0625" on all sides is what im used to in narrow web and wide web flexo. on the digital press and laser finishing i believe we were down to 0.5mm (go figure) but our request for bleed remained at 0.0625" on all sides.

im wondering if everyone saying 0.125" means on all sides or total. i was reading it as 0.125" total and was in agreement until the last few posts on page 2.

Comment

.125" on all sides. Sometimes .25" on all sides.
        Joe
        OS: Mac OS X 10.10.2 - RIP: Prinergy Connect 6.1 - CTP: Luscher XPose! 160 (2)

Comment

I though that when anyone in the industry refers to bleed, it is always the "x per side" for the amount. All of my posts have been .125" of bleed per side, or more depending on the machine being used. I can understand using .5mm or .0625" bleeds for narrow web and wide web flexo, but digital presses and small format offset I would immediately think that any operator would want .125" for bleed.

Comment

Here in the metric United Kingdom we ask for 3mm per side bleed for most jobs, however the bigger commercial printers have an automated finishing system that requires only 1 mm bleed per side.
            System6.0.7, Illustrator'88, FreeHand2.02, PageMaker3.02CE. . .

Comment

4OverStandard FinishingDuploSmartsoft (Presswise)CanonKBAUltimate
            4OverStandard FinishingDuploCanonKBAKBAChili publish4 PeesSmartsoft (Presswise)

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4490 users online. 115 members and 4375 guests.

Most users ever online was 6,597 at 10:25 AM on 04-20-2018.

Working...
            X