Industry Bleed Standard

PricelineNegotiator

Hey guys,

I truly want to know who would disagree with the statement:

".125" bleeds are a print industry standard."

Please comment below on what you think is the standard for the print industry for submitting artwork with bleeds!

When we switched over from camera to computers around 2001, yes I started working there in 2001 and couldn't believe they were still shooting everything on a camera but that is another story, we asked every customer to give us .25" bleed on everything. The reason was that customers never sent their files in at the right size and the more we have to work with the better our chances were of being able to use their files. Fast forward a short 17 years later and we have most customers sending their files in at the right size and .125" bleed. So yes I believe you can say that ".125" bleeds are a print industry standard."*

*(If the files are done correctly)

Actually .125" = 3.175 mm. Or as we used to use on the old Hell Chromacom system...3.2 mm.

Gentlemen,

Let us be pragmatic, Every household throughout the western world will have a Metric Ruler marked in 1mm divisions,

surely we don't need to measure in 100's of Inches or Microns - we are only measuring a Image Bleed Cut Off !!!!

Regards, Alois

Last edited:
image_7641.jpg
Gentlemen,

Let us be pragmatic, Every household throughout the western world will have a Metric Ruler marked in 1mm divisions,

surely we don't need to measure in 100's of Inches or Microns - we are only measuring a Image Bleed Cut Off !!!!

Regards, Alois

This says it all.

Per wiki "Bleeds in the US generally are 1/8 of an inch from where the cut is to be made".

I use .1" / 2.5MM a lot as the gutter = .2" /5mm. I think it's easy when you're equipment is both metric and standard.

We go with .125" of bleed for just about everything. For printing business cards digital I leave .0625 bleed with a gutter of .125. This allows me to get 24 up rather then 21 up with more bleed.

If I wanted smart-ass remarks I would make them myself like I do in every other thread! But this thread is serious answers only!

It would seems that the forum, a good representative of the industry, agrees in whole that .125" bleeds are the standard/default for the industry. Does anyone disagree with that statement?

It's been .125" for the 30 years I've been doing this and more recently .25" for large format work.

Who thinks its NOT?

We are book binders. We ask, but do not insist, for 5mm to take care of folding errors and creep.
Any binders here?

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back