Looking for Hi-Res non-inkjet proofing system

thedream

Hello Guys,

I am lost. 15 years ago I was conceiving optical charts calibration (some ultra-fine black line lines interleaved with white lines) by flashing my film on Agfa device and doing a traditional Cromalin from those films. I worked at 2400 dpi. The result was perfect and the Cromalin was used as a unique piece, no matter was the size. No need to print it on a regular 4 colors press.
Here is my question where I am lost:
How do I get the same results today ? I mean, I can't use inkjet devices because it's not so sharp and precise than a laser exposing a film or a paper. Printing house have retired their own Kodak Approval and/or their Traditional Cromalin.
So, how can I achieve my goal today ? Should I have to go directly to CTP ?
Please help the old Optical Physics man I am. I am based in Paris, France, but my works can travel !

You may produce your charts on photographic paper, much like producing a Cromaline proof.
Resolution and contrast would be comparable.
Film and imagesetters are still around, mainly used for Silk Screen and small scale PCB production, high-contrast photographic (contact) paper should still be available.

Perhaps High-res Digital printing such as HP Indigo will do.
A little less contrast and sharpness but may work for you.

Some packaging prepress houses still run Kodak Approvals (Approval consumables are still manufactured and sold and refurbished Approvals can be purchased).

Although traditional film is still available, many use thermal ablative high resolution digital films on image/platesetters, such as Kodak DITR.

Stephen Marsh

Using Digital Thermal Film to produce the image is OK, but will leave you with the necessity to make contact prints photographically and DITR film users rarely have photographic processing.
BTW, thermal ablative films need to be handled very delicately because their emulsion tend to get scratched easily.

Iris couldn't offer the required resolution, even in its' glorious days.
It used only 300 ppi CT files.
Nowadays, a standard modern inkjet printer would do MUCH better, but still wouldn't be enough for the required use.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back