Collapse
Canon
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The floppy

Just had someone bring in a 5.25 Floppy to retrieve their artwork Not quite sure where to stick it.
    That's a blast from the past

I would probably politely tell the customer to go away. I could not imagine that any good paying, logical customer would use a floppy drive to transport data to you.

Comment

You could tell them it won't work because it's double density and you haven't upgraded your disk drives yet.

Comment

Yeah, we are still using the 8" floppies in our Tandys.

Comment

Although I occasionally rescue customers' backed up files from obsolete media including 3.5" diskettes, Zip, MO and Syquest, as well as various tapes - a 5.25" floppy didn't appear in years.
          I keep a lot of my old hardware "just in case" however, in many cases these disks refuse to load, especially the magnetic media ones.
          Sometimes I get to retrieve the files intact, but these are native files from old software/OSes, containing links to unavailable images or containing LowRes place holders...

Comment

Jeeez, perhaps your customer was an important government nuclear defence agent: http://time.com/4348494/pentagon-nuclear-floppy-disks/

Comment

Isn't a floppy disk something like 3.5 mb? Not sure any files I create these days would fit on a floppy. I would just ask for his email and send it that way. I don't think we have any computers here with floppy drives anymore, even a CD drive is rare on the newer machines.

Comment

Just found it humorous since I haven't seen one of those since the late 90's (at least that's what it feels like)

Comment

It's been 24 years since the 5.25" floppy has been obsolete. If they didn't need their artwork until now I can't imagine it's very important.

Comment

Originally posted by namelessentity View Post
                    It's been 24 years since the 5.25" floppy has been obsolete. If they didn't need their artwork until now I can't imagine it's very important.
                    Social archeologists would disagree LOL

Comment

Nothing was more satisfying than the clicking noise of the 5.25 going into an Apple external drive.

Comment

I have an old Micron Computer here & ready to go. I've kept it hooked up in case I ever need the 3.5 disk drive. It's been at least 10 years since I've used it. I guess the real reason is I'm too lazy to move it.

Comment

In all seriousness, we have one client who brings in his 3.5" floppy every year and has us update his address list on it. We have every computer we have ever owned. Our oldest is a Model I Tandy with the cassette tapes for data backup. We did our payroll on it back in the 70s.

Comment

Originally posted by arossetti View Post
                            Nothing was more satisfying than the clicking noise of the 5.25 going into an Apple external drive.
                            You mean the "KerrrrLUNK! Ratta ratta, ZZZZZZzzzzzzzz zzz zzzzz zzzzzzz ZZZZZ zzz?

Comment

Originally posted by wonderings View Post
                              Isn't a floppy disk something like 3.5 mb? Not sure any files I create these days would fit on a floppy. I would just ask for his email and send it that way. I don't think we have any computers here with floppy drives anymore, even a CD drive is rare on the newer machines.
                              The most popular iteration of the 3.5" disk had storage of 1.44Mb. In my graveyard I still have a 2Gb SCSI Iomega Jaz Drive.
                              Does anyone remember the 100Mb Zip drive and the "Click of Death"?

Comment

4OverStandard FinishingDuploSmartsoft (Presswise)AleyantCanonKBA
                              4OverStandard FinishingDuploAleyantCanonGraph Expo4 PeesLabelexpoKBAKBA

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5424 users online. 129 members and 5295 guests.

Most users ever online was 6,597 at 10:25 AM on 04-20-2018.

Working...
                              X