The floppy

Manafaith

Just had someone bring in a 5.25 Floppy to retrieve their artwork :eek: Not quite sure where to stick it.
That's a blast from the past

I would probably politely tell the customer to go away. I could not imagine that any good paying, logical customer would use a floppy drive to transport data to you.

You could tell them it won't work because it's double density and you haven't upgraded your disk drives yet.

Although I occasionally rescue customers' backed up files from obsolete media including 3.5" diskettes, Zip, MO and Syquest, as well as various tapes - a 5.25" floppy didn't appear in years.
I keep a lot of my old hardware "just in case" however, in many cases these disks refuse to load, especially the magnetic media ones.
Sometimes I get to retrieve the files intact, but these are native files from old software/OSes, containing links to unavailable images or containing LowRes place holders...

Isn't a floppy disk something like 3.5 mb? Not sure any files I create these days would fit on a floppy. I would just ask for his email and send it that way. I don't think we have any computers here with floppy drives anymore, even a CD drive is rare on the newer machines.

Just found it humorous since I haven't seen one of those since the late 90's (at least that's what it feels like)

It's been 24 years since the 5.25" floppy has been obsolete. If they didn't need their artwork until now I can't imagine it's very important.

Nothing was more satisfying than the clicking noise of the 5.25 going into an Apple external drive.

I have an old Micron Computer here & ready to go. I've kept it hooked up in case I ever need the 3.5 disk drive. It's been at least 10 years since I've used it. I guess the real reason is I'm too lazy to move it.

In all seriousness, we have one client who brings in his 3.5" floppy every year and has us update his address list on it. We have every computer we have ever owned. Our oldest is a Model I Tandy with the cassette tapes for data backup. We did our payroll on it back in the 70s.

Isn't a floppy disk something like 3.5 mb? Not sure any files I create these days would fit on a floppy. I would just ask for his email and send it that way. I don't think we have any computers here with floppy drives anymore, even a CD drive is rare on the newer machines.

The most popular iteration of the 3.5" disk had storage of 1.44Mb. In my graveyard I still have a 2Gb SCSI Iomega Jaz Drive.
Does anyone remember the 100Mb Zip drive and the "Click of Death"?

The topic was the subject of a RE:print cartoon back in 2013:

187 Slipped Disks.jpg

The most popular iteration of the 3.5" disk had storage of 1.44Mb. In my graveyard I still have a 2Gb SCSI Iomega Jaz Drive.

All our backups used to go onto zip disks, the storage was HUGE at the time and now just laughable. That is technology for you. Have a box of old zip disks in the basement here at work collecting dust and will one day be pulled up out of curiosity as the next generation tries to figure out what these were for.

All our backups used to go onto zip disks, the storage was HUGE at the time and now just laughable. That is technology for you. Have a box of old zip disks in the basement here at work collecting dust and will one day be pulled up out of curiosity as the next generation tries to figure out what these were for.

Zips were a gift from God when they came out. Was always having to get files over to the Service Bureau's to get film output and it sure made file portability a cinch........ahhhhhhhh the good ole days

The old "Sneaker Net"... running between desktops with a ZIP as it was quicker then the TokenRing and appletalk.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back