CanonKonica Minolta
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When to Shingle?

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone can provide any guidelines they use for determining if a job should be shingled?

Thanks,
    pd

prepressdork.

A shingle consist of individual overlapping sheets of Paper - SO what do you mean, by the term "Shingle" ?

Regards, Alois

Comment

Hi Alois,

Another term for shingle is creep. Does this image help?

Thanks,
      pd

Comment

Hello prepressdork,

Thank you - now I know what you mean ! - never heard "Shingle" used when meaning "Creep"

Regards, Alois

Comment

Don't know when or why we'd let a job get saddle-stitched without trimming the shingled part. Even when page #s and running heads/feet are close to the trim edge, we reduce the image area to keep those elements clear of the trim. This is from the perspective of a short run, digital press operator -- I don't know if there is a situation in other kinds of printing where you'd want a shingled book.

Comment

We don't usually apply creep for jobs less than 64 pages unless it is running on a heavy stock. Anything over 64 pages will almost always get creep applied. The amount depends on the paper it is running on and how close text content is to the trim. And we always use creep scale to keep spread crossovers intact but even use it if there are no spread crossovers.
            Joe
            OS: Mac OS X 10.10.2 - RIP: Prinergy Connect 6.1 - CTP: Luscher XPose! 160 (2)

Comment

Once a job is over 36 pages, depending on stock, we look at the content. If there are elements close to the trim edge we consider shingling.
              If stock is lightweight or elements do not come close to the edge, then we wouldn't shingle until the job reached 48pp. Unless the content is simple eg columns of text only, we always scale.

Comment

Originally posted by Alois Senefelder View Post
                Hello prepressdork,

Thank you - now I know what you mean ! - never heard "Shingle" used when meaning "Creep"

Regards, Alois
                Creep is the physical effect, shingling is the method used to mitigate the effect of creep.

Comment

There is a formula for this that I learned as a film stripper. Trouble is, I forget it. Not much help.

Comment

Originally posted by keith1 View Post
                    There is a formula for this that I learned as a film stripper. Trouble is, I forget it. Not much help.
                    Here's the formula from Prep's: (number of pages / 4) x stock thickness. For saddle-stitched, this is pages per entire book. For perfect bind, this refers to pages per signature.

We rarely have to use this formula anymore, we're using Agfa's Apogee Prepress Impose and it does it automatically by scaling the page. Works great!

Comment

We creep once we get to 48 pages, unless it is on thick stock. Easiest formula is divide by 4 then multiply by paper caliper. 56 pages divided by 4 = 14.... then 14 x .0044 = .0616 creep.

Comment

Check this: http://www.internationalpaper.com/to...-caliper-chart
                        Online Weight and Creep Calculator:

http://www.jumpdp.com/weightcreep.php

I've attached the sheet of thicknesses we use in XMF:
                        Paper Bulks and Calipers.pdf
                        Last edited by tlotzer; 09-13-2018, 03:20 PM.

Comment

We use the same (PageCount/4)*Caliper method, but we add 20% to that number. When we measure, we usually find that actual creep is greater than the theoretical value. I have guesses as to why, but they're just guesses. Has anybody else ever looked at this?

We apply creep if the move is .04" or greater.

Comment

This is a calculator I downloaded from a user in the old Scenicsoft Preps forum
                            I've since converted it to GSM and MM, but it's easy enough to change the stock descriptions and numbers back to imperial.
                            This calculates both creep for saddle stitched books and spine width for perfect/notch/burst bound books.
                            https://optimapress-my.sharepoint.co...jyhOg?e=wMWrby

Comment

4OverStandard FinishingDuploSmartsoft (Presswise)AleyantCanonKBAUltimate
                            4OverStandard FinishingDuploAleyantCanonGraph ExpoLabelexpoKBAKBASmartsoft (Presswise)Chili publish4 Pees

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4751 users online. 93 members and 4658 guests.

Most users ever online was 6,597 at 10:25 AM on 04-20-2018.

Working...
                            X