Preflight puzzle

gordo

The separations of the attached file appear different depending on which preflight viewer is used.
When you look at the separations, does the black drop shadow appear knocked out of the spot color? overprinting? single or multi color shadow? Or?
Please indicate what app and version you're using to preflight the file.
Thanks.

Last edited:
Acrobat DC version 2018.011.20063. Separations: CMYK + PMS 2032 C. Shadow overprints spot as black only in both photos.

Well, if you ask how it appear "visually" — in acrobat dc 2018.011.20063 with overprint preview window on it feels like it knock's out 2032 pantone. Without overprint preview window on it looks like overprinting 2032

Well, if you ask how it appear "visually" — in acrobat dc 2018.011.20063 with overprint preview window on it feels like it knock's out 2032 pantone. Without overprint preview window on it looks like overprinting 2032

Yeah, it appears to be a bug when generating the PDF rather than a bug in the viewer. :-(

Weird. I have the same version and the black shadow overprints whether I have output preview open or not.

Weird. I have the same version and the black shadow overprints whether I have output preview open or not.

Well, technically it should show like"no overprint" 'cause there is no overprint on the image

Attachments

• photo7989.jpg
    photo7989.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 190
  • photo7990.jpg
    photo7990.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 174
  • photo7991.jpg
    photo7991.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 187
Yeah, it appears to be a bug when generating the PDF rather than a bug in the viewer. :-(

I don't think it's a bug. If you want to see it similarly with op window on and without you should go ctrl (cmd)+k —> page display

Attachments

• photo7992.jpg
    photo7992.jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 209
Well, technically it should show like"no overprint" 'cause there is no overprint on the image

No there is no 'overprint' of the shadow. It is 2018. The shadow is a transparency effect that allows the shadow to print over the background color. When I said it overprints the spot color, it does. But not because of an overprint setting but because of transparency.

The area in pink is the transparent region which is the shadow area. You can view where transparency is in a PDF with the Acrobat Flattener Preview tool.

Screen Shot 2018-09-25 at 8.32.13 AM.png

Just for your information, it turns out that the problem was a bug in the software embedding the correct profile. If the correct profile (that the original file was created in) is embedded using Acrobat - then the file separates correctly.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back