Saving Quark 7 file down to Quark 6

pwalton

Does anybody know how to do this properly? I am only on the trial version of Quark 7, but I did purchase it. I know that some files especially with alot of images and the special features that Quark 7 has, it can cause some problems, but I have a file that is mostly text and I need to save down to Quark 6, but you can do it the same way that all of the other versions allow you to do it. Anyadvise would be greatly appreciated!Thanks!
Paige

Re: Saving Quark 7 file down to Quark 6

I would check type rewrap in the Quark 6 version to make sure it matches the Quark 7 version. I would hope it's all CMYK and/or Spot and no RGB is used. If so, you'll have problems simply because of the two different RGB profiles used in the two different versions.

Don

We've learned that you MUST have the fonts properly loaded in QX7 before saving down to QX6 or you'll get reflow issues that won't get resolved when the correct font is loaded in QX6.

Export the layout as a project, change it to 6 and make sure that it is single language. Multi language will make it a passport compatible file. I back save this way on a daily basis and we have had no problems. Damn there's no wood to knock on in here. I may have just jinxed myself.

Has anyone noticed how the Pantone colors breaking down to process are now different in Q7 than they were in Q6? yes, it's true, and it's something to be aware of. We have customers sending us files in Q6, then someone else makes changes in Q7, makes a pdf and sends it to us, but now the color breaks don't match the original colors! Try it out, pick something like PMS 716. See how Q7 breaks it down, then see how Q6 does it. It's all new and matches nothing anyone else is doing. All Adobe products to CS3 are matching the Q6 break downs, so Quark is all alone in these new process breakdowns. If you have Swatch books that shows you pms colors converted to process, they won't match any more if you are using Q7!!!! Yikes!

Yeah, Quark brilliantly decided to change their color management engine. I believe there was some pretty good discussion on the old PPF about this.

Pantone is the one that changed the color breakdown. Q7 is just using the new Pantone library while the rest aren't. You can download the new ones from Pantone for the apps (Q4, Q5, CS, CS2, CS3) if you'd like everything to match.

PANTONE did change the color breakdown. Both InDesign CS3 and Quark 7 give access to both the old "solid" PANTONE CMYK builds (available in InDesign CS2 and Quark 6.5) as well as the new "color bridge" CMYK builds. Neither set of builds are built to ISO 12647 though (not even the color bridge PC solids are within tolerance of ISO 12647-2), so no wonder we can't match them better than we are. However, between the two, I would have to say that the "color bridge" builds are closer if you're printing to ISO 12647-2 (via GRACoL2006_Coated1v2 or ISOcoatedv2). Michael Eddington has done tests and says that using color management (the default Relative Colorimetric Intent with BPC) using the specific output profile (can use official profile if that's what you match on press) gets even closer than either set of PANTONE CMYK numbers. This is the future and we do already have the capability to output for PANTONE colors with alternate color space of Lab if we want to, for downstream conversion to specific ICC output profile, or can convert to CMYK using Lab values as source from within the program (although harder to do in Quark of course). Having said al of that, still only less than 50% of PANTONE colors can be matched in CMYK only. And probably about the same amount of the PANTONE Goe colors can be matched in CMYK only I would imagine.

Don

*Load the full version* and give the export to 6.0 feature a try, As others have said. Use good Fonts, and do not use Quark special features if you want to save it back. This will cause you more than problems.

Cheers

Use the Export feature in the file menu. Be sure to choose "layouts as project" and then select version 6.0. this should do it!

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back