Collapse
Canon
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Acrobat Dot Gain 30 Conversion is Changing 100K black to 84K

For offset we convert using the built in Dot Gain 30 setting in Acrobat. Problem is that on some files it changes 100K black to 84Kish. Any guesses why? Our preferred behavior would be for 100K to stay 100K and only the other values to change based on a curve.

It is because of the color management profile you are using. Try different profiles.
    Joe
    OS: Mac OS X 10.10.2 - RIP: Prinergy Connect 6.1 - CTP: Luscher XPose! 160 (2)

Comment

jpfulton.

Salient Points: Tone Reproduction (Dot Gain) use...... Percentage % NOT "K"

Regards, Alois

Far too much Computer Language used, instead of the correct Printing Terminology !

"M" is the correct Roman symbol for 1000.00
      Last edited by Alois Senefelder; 12-05-2018, 11:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe View Post
        It is because of the color management profile you are using. Try different profiles.
        So you're saying the color profile I'm using BEFORE conversion to dot gain??

Comment

To be clear, K is short for Black in the CMYK acronym. 100K is solid black, 84K would be a dark grayish tint of black, thereby introducing a halftone dot where none was anticipated.

Comment

Originally posted by Macmann View Post
            To be clear, K is short for Black in the CMYK acronym. 100K is solid black, 84K would be a dark grayish tint of black, thereby introducing a halftone dot where none was anticipated.
            Correct... this is exactly what we are experiencing.

Comment

Originally posted by jpfulton248 View Post

So you're saying the color profile I'm using BEFORE conversion to dot gain??
              Where are you doing this correction in Acrobat? Color convert?
              Joe

Comment

Originally posted by Joe View Post

Where are you doing this correction in Acrobat? Color convert?
                Indesign -> PDF then I'm using the "Convert Colors" option under "Print Production" in Acrobat.

Comment

In your Convert Colors dialog box, try selecting "Preserve Black" under the Convert Options.

Comment

Hello Messrs. Macmann and jpfulton.

I'm well aware that "K" stands for the ..... Black Separation Printer, also that any CMY Ink printed as a solid is measured as 100% NOT as a "K"

So - how do we get a Greyish Black -say according to your terminolgy 84K from CMY Inks ? - from which the result is Brown.

Regards, Alois

Comment

Originally posted by buckeye View Post
                      In your Convert Colors dialog box, try selecting "Preserve Black" under the Convert Options.
                      We actually do use this option (Preserve Black) every time we convert.

Comment

Alois - I figured you knew what K was-just clarifying for the newbs. Please see original post-no mention of CMY, or 1000 brown Romans ;-)

Jpfulton-does this only happen to text or all solid black areas? I suspect what you think is black is really a CMYK build of black, which often times does not include a 100% black. Can you verify in separation preview?

Comment

Originally posted by Macmann View Post
                          Alois - I figured you knew what K was-just clarifying for the newbs. Please see original post-no mention of CMY, or 1000 brown Romans ;-)

Jpfulton-does this only happen to text or all solid black areas? I suspect what you think is black is really a CMYK build of black, which often times does not include a 100% black. Can you verify in separation preview?
                          UPDATE: Looks like the issue happens after we run through our Quite Imposing Plus automation sequence. We are continuing to troubleshoot.. Specifically looking for some kind of color settings in Quite Imposing.

Comment

@jp

just for curiosity: For which Output Intention do you need dotgain 30?

Ulrich

Comment

Originally posted by jpfulton248 View Post

Indesign -> PDF then I'm using the "Convert Colors" option under "Print Production" in Acrobat.
                              So if the text is CMY=0 and K=100 to start with and I do the following using color convert it converts the text to 0%gray which equals 100% K.

color_convert.png
                              Joe

Comment

Unconfigured Static HTML Module

Collapse

Static HTML Module Content
                              4OverStandard FinishingDuploSmartsoft (Presswise)CanonKBAUltimateTharstern
                              4OverStandard FinishingDuploCanonKBAKBA4 PeesSmartsoft (Presswise)TharsternUltimate

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4521 users online. 106 members and 4415 guests.

Most users ever online was 6,597 at 10:25 AM on 04-20-2018.

Working...
                              X