Calculating Weight and Thickness for Mail Pieces - Free Software

Justin M

Hey all! I've been working on a personal project that has helped me in my current job. I work in a prepress department and process mailing lists on a regular basis. One of the most annoying things for me is having to make a dummy of the mail piece with the exact paper and envelope so I can get the weight and thickness. On my free time, I also do some software development and decided to create a program that would essentially store the papers and envelopes in a database and would allow me to calculate the weight and thickness for any mail piece on the fly.

With that, I've got a pretty good first version down that works pretty well. I'm releasing this as open source software and allowing people to download it for free (under the GNU General Public License v3.0). I'd love to get some feedback and see how a tool like this works for you. I've provided an installer for mac and windows and I've tested them on my computer and they work well. The only thing is that you will need to have Java installed on your computer in order to run this program (most computers already have it installed).

For more information on my project and for links to download the installers go to: http://justinmonsees.com/projects/mail-piece-calculator/

Feel free to reach out to me with feedback and/or questions!

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back