Canon
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about plate curves

I need to confirm my understanding.

If one is supplying halftone screened bitmaps for output to plate - say from a remote prepress location - then any plate curves that the printer is using for their normal plate imaging will have no effect.
    Put another way.
    If the printshop is using a curve to linearize their plates in their normal workflow, if I send a prescreened one bit tiff for output to plate that linearizing curve is not applied.

I believe you are correct Gordo. You could however, apply the same curve adjustments in the remote workflow to produce tiffs with the correct tone values. Sometimes this is press-specific so some communication and planning would be necessary.
    Also I suppose, if unadjusted tiffs were created, they may be able to be modified in DotShop to yield the correct tone values at the destination site. I am not aware of an automated system to adjust bitmap tiffs for tone value but maybe someone else is...

-dan

Comment

Originally posted by gordo View Post
      If one is supplying halftone screened bitmaps for output to plate - say from a remote prepress location - then any plate curves that the printer is using for their normal plate imaging will have no effect.
      This is 100% true, but have to add that it affect any bitmap — doesn't matter if it is raster data or anything else (0,1)
      Originally posted by gordo View Post
      If the printshop is using a curve to linearize their plates in their normal workflow, if I send a prescreened one bit tiff for output to plate then linearizing curve is not applied.
      RIP knows how to alter 8-bitt data before converting to 1bit raster. I personally don't know any RIP that can alter 1bit data directly. But if one will use, say, descreen option before output — then it is possible, but anyway, it involves some steps between "recieve file —> output to plate"

Comment

Normal calibration on output won't touch 1-bit data, bit it is possible to run a curve on one-bit data. For instance, if you have the "Copydot Calibration" option in Prinergy, you can run a calibration curve on one-bit TIFFs. The algorithm does edge pixel dilation/expansion, and halftone dots maintain a reasonable shape. You can even run a curve on Staccato, but Staccato will lose its printability, if it's anything more than a slight correction.

Comment

That is correct, the plate curve must be applied to the Tiff output

Comment

Thanks all for the responses.

Comment

4OverStandard FinishingDuploSmartsoft (Presswise)CanonKBATharsternAvantiXerox

Presswise Article

Collapse

Automated Order Status Tracking
            In PressWise Workflow Solution

Presswise order status
            Quick overview of the order status tracking feature on PressWise’s automated workflow solution

Link to Video

4OverStandard FinishingDuploCanonSmartsoft (Presswise)TharsternKBAAvantiUltimateXerox

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5675 users online. 97 members and 5578 guests.

Most users ever online was 6,597 at 10:25 AM on 04-20-2018.

Working...
            X