Looking for a Imposition solution

elarrick

We are a label maker and have been manually stepping impositions to normalized PDF for Flexo plates in Illustrator. Trapping is done by Esko plugins.

We use specific bearer bars that can change depending on a standard flat label to a booklet onsert or multiply labels.

Some labels we produce require a nested template.

I want a system where you setup all of the templates on the front end so that the user can simply select a file, select a template and send. Unlike PowerLayout (unless I'm confused) where it is a series of windows you have to toggle through setting up a page size, step, etc...everytime.

I have experience in the Past with Preps and Fuji XMF. I really like working in XMF once all of the setup is done and all the templates made. I don't think a small company where I am at now can afford a system as robust as XMF though.

Please give me some feedback on what you would be looking into based on this criteria.

Thanks!

Have you looked at imposition studio? It is pretty versatile, you can save hot folders to just drop in PDF's (in the right template) and have it imposed. Not sure what nested templates are, but might be worth looking at and not all that expensive.

Nested templates are going to be when you've got custom die shapes that are placed to take up the entire sheet or cylinder in our case. They are not the ordinary grid pattern steps. I could achieve this in XMF by overlapping the template placeholders in the imposition. I think Preps may have allowed this as well but it's been a min.

Nested templates are going to be when you've got custom die shapes that are placed to take up the entire sheet or cylinder in our case. They are not the ordinary grid pattern steps. I could achieve this in XMF by overlapping the template placeholders in the imposition. I think Preps may have allowed this as well but it's been a min.

As far as I know, Preps does not allow for nested pages, Pandora is specifically designed for packaging and one of it's major features is the ability to do nested pages
https://www.kodak.com/GB/en/prinergy-workflow/platform/pandora-step-and-repeat-software/default.htm

Are you also running Esko's Automation Engine? If so there are some nice auto layout options there.

Magnus59 said:
As far as I know, Preps does not allow for nested pages, Pandora is specifically designed for packaging and one of it's major features is the ability to do nested pages

eskopdl said:
Are you also running Esko's Automation Engine? If so there are some nice auto layout options there.

We don't have a license for Automation Engine. The thing with Esko is that we need to have these custom dynamic marks that we call bearer bars and there needs to be a handful of different kinds depending on the application. With Esko all the licenses are separate and a PITA. Maybe I'm wrong, I have no experience with Automation Engine, only their PowerLayout plugin.

I'm looking into Pandora, getting cost, etc. I'm also talking with our Esko rep about Plato. Also looking into PaSharp by Founder and Imposition Studio today.

Thanks!

I'm not sure if it can do everything you need, but if you are looking for a more economical solution than the big players you could look at InpO2 from Dynagram. It works as a plug in to Acrobat.

Typically, if you need to do nested layouts, you need an application that can read the CF2 dieline file that will be used to make the die that cuts out the individual elements. The application will use the CF2 diefile as a template for positioning and rotating the different artworks that need to be nested. This is the only way you can have 100% assurance that the layout is going to fit the die. And it's not just a matter of placing the artworks in the right locations. Note that the application will need to create bleed around each dieline station, and where packages butt up against each other for a single knife cut, you will need to resolve bleeds so that no content is improperly overprinted or lost, such as running a bleed from one package onto a non-image flap area. So you will need to look at applications like Pandora, etc. that are able to do all these operations.. Those apps will also be able to place autosizing marks like flexo bearer bars. And you'll need to think about things like diestation marks and waste marks, for doing quality control on the packages once they are cut out.

Hello,

I am quite familiar with your existing solution, and would recommend that you check out Hybrid Software's PACKZ solution.
It will handle all of your stepping (imposition) needs as native PDF and will work well with your existing Esko solutions.
www.hybridsoftware.com

[Disclaimer: I work at Tilia Labs, maker of tilia Phoenix]

Hello,

AI plugins like PaSharp or DeskPack could be a good fit for you, but you might want to also try out tilia Phoenix (or our new PDF Step and Repeat software, tilia Aries, which we released at LabelExpo — Tilia Labs launches Aries step-and-repeat software) which has advantages depending on your situation.

Some of the differences you will find with tilia Phoenix compared to AI plugins or Pandora:

* Powerful ganging engine that generates optimal nested cartons/label layouts in a single click
* Import orders via CSV file
* Unique CAD-less workflow for building layouts quickly with PDFs and exporting final die layout as CFF2 or PDF for post press cut
* Most accurate artwork to die auto snap available, positions just about anything into place
* Special tools for resolving problems in DXF and other CAD formats
* Up-to-date estimating and reporting on sheet usages, press time, cost, etc.
* Auto-synced die positions across front and back sides for double-sided work
* Extensive dynamic mark system
* JDF Export

Last edited:

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back