PDF colour changed unexpectedly

sainteyes

Hi All, I have this odd issue which i dun know how to explain, appreciate if you can provide any insights on this.

A customer complained one of the image colour was wrong. It was printed as purple but the PDF supplied is in yellow.

We went back to check the 1st downloaded PDF file and noticed the image is in fact purple.

Then we go back to the FTP, download the same PDF again. This round the image appeared as yellow as customer claimed.

Comparing the 1st and 2nd downloaded file, all the properties looked identical from date/time of edit, file size(in bytes), export method etc. So from IT point of view both should be the same file. However the particular image changed from yellow to purple.

There are other images on the same page but only that one is affected.

We also noticed the separation percentage for cyan and magenta remains the same, but the percentage for yellow and black are swapped for the affected image thus caused the shift in colour.

it is not likely the PDF was changed in the FTP, so any other possible explainations? Well i dun want to close this case by saying a Gamma ray burst from a blackhole explosion 200k light years away hit our network cable right on the spot during the data transimission

really strange!

ist it possible to have a look to that files? (via ftp or mail to the mailadress in my user-profile?)

Best

Ulrich

Hi All, I have this odd issue which i dun know how to explain, appreciate if you can provide any insights on this.

A customer complained one of the image colour was wrong. It was printed as purple but the PDF supplied is in yellow.

We went back to check the 1st downloaded PDF file and noticed the image is in fact purple.

Then we go back to the FTP, download the same PDF again. This round the image appeared as yellow as customer claimed.

Comparing the 1st and 2nd downloaded file, all the properties looked identical from date/time of edit, file size(in bytes), export method etc. So from IT point of view both should be the same file. However the particular image changed from yellow to purple.

There are other images on the same page but only that one is affected.

We also noticed the separation percentage for cyan and magenta remains the same, but the percentage for yellow and black are swapped for the affected image thus caused the shift in colour.

it is not likely the PDF was changed in the FTP, so any other possible explainations? Well i dun want to close this case by saying a Gamma ray burst from a blackhole explosion 200k light years away hit our network cable right on the spot during the data transimission

I'd like to see what program created the PDF. I'm guessing it's some off-shoot program, not made by Adobe.

Try opening the file in Acrobat Pro and going to Advanced>Print Production>Output Preview. This will show a view of the file when flattened for output. Your cursor will also change to cross hairs for sampling colors. Move the mouse over that area and see what the read out is. I'm guessing it's a named pantone that the designer changed the color of after the fact, but your RIP is still recognizing the original name. It could also be some strange transparency setting. If you could post the PDF, we could analyze it better.

Sounds like there is some odd layering going on or a transparency issue as previously mentioned. I agree that posting the PDF would help. It's difficult to diagnose the issue without diving into the file. One tip - if you're printing digitally and you drag/dropped the file into a Fiery - try printing it to the Fiery instead. I've had many Word files that display weird issues when I just drag and drop, but if I File > Print instead, the Fiery handles the Postscript differently and results in a perfect image.

If spot color is used and two objects have the same spot color name, but different 'alternate colorspace' the same file could look different in different Acrobat readers since the first spot color the software 'sees' will determine what the other objects with the same named spot color will look like. Could you please link to the fils?

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back