Getting a new MAC

Re: Getting a new MAC

Hi again Don,
Look, I never said that all my jobs rewrap, I said I'm at risk if even one does.
It's the apps that use different kerning tables, not the OS's. But if you use a modern font manager running OSX, and it uses the new tables and you open a classic document say Q4 or worse, an older Adobe app, funny things MAY / WILL happen and that is not acceptable. Even the chance that it may happen is not acceptable in our shop. Plus French, German etc accents are a huge issue depending on hoe they were entered by the designer!
If Classic works for you, terrific; no need to change. But appreciate this, if I print 50,000 copies on 28pt board C2S and any part is wrong, I have just wiped out the profit for the next freggin quarter nearly. We are not printing on paper Don. Where you might get the 50K on four or five skids, our board wil occupy 30 skids! Cannot take the risk, period. Okay?
Thanks for the dialogue.
John W

Hi all,

I recently purchased a new Intel iMac 20" 2.5GHz with 2GB RAM for use at home. Was upgrading from an old G4 iMac 700Mhz so you can imagine the speed increase I've noticed!

At work I am running a G5 PowerMac, dual 2Ghz, 2GB RAM. From my own personal experience (benchmark tests may prove otherwise) the Adobe CS3 software runs as fast if not faster on my iMac, possibly due to the optimised Intel code. Of course at home I am not ripping large files or anything, only freelance design work, but for the cost I am really enjoying the iMac!!

As rtwdwk mentioned there has been a lot written about the glossy screens and colour critical work. I would tend to agree, the screens really are nice to view the family happy snaps on, watch DVDs, etc. Personally I haven't had any problems yet although I do think if you're working in upmarket photography or anything colour critical a higher end display would probably be better. But for your run of the mill junk mail work it more than does the job!!

So yea, I love it, may not be the best machine for everyone, and definitely take a look at one in-store to check the monitor out before making a purchase. It really is glossy....

Cheers, Tony

If you're really loosening up your purse strings and can afford it (and are also buying a Mac Pro instead of an iMac), I would suggest investing in an Eizo ColorEdge or FlexScan monitor [http://www.eizo.com]. They're far superior to Apple's monitor's, especially if you're heavy into virtual proofing and color management. Eizo monitors have represent around 96% of the entire Adobe 1998 RGB color space, and they have way higher contrast ratios than Apple's hardware.

If you're going to go with an Apple monitor though, I would suggest just buying an LG or Dell for a lesser price, since I'm pretty sure they're manufactured the same way by the same company with the same specs (you're going to have to double-check on that for certain).

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back