• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bprint_tampabay
    replied
    Re: Getting a new MAC

Thanks for all of your input.

I'll let you know what we end up getting!

Larry

Leave a comment:

• bryan yeager
    replied

If you're really loosening up your purse strings and can afford it (and are also buying a Mac Pro instead of an iMac), I would suggest investing in an Eizo ColorEdge or FlexScan monitor [http://www.eizo.com]. They're far superior to Apple's monitor's, especially if you're heavy into virtual proofing and color management. Eizo monitors have represent around 96% of the entire Adobe 1998 RGB color space, and they have way higher contrast ratios than Apple's hardware.

If you're going to go with an Apple monitor though, I would suggest just buying an LG or Dell for a lesser price, since I'm pretty sure they're manufactured the same way by the same company with the same specs (you're going to have to double-check on that for certain).

Leave a comment:

• tony_mclachlan
    replied

Hi all,

I recently purchased a new Intel iMac 20" 2.5GHz with 2GB RAM for use at home. Was upgrading from an old G4 iMac 700Mhz so you can imagine the speed increase I've noticed!

At work I am running a G5 PowerMac, dual 2Ghz, 2GB RAM. From my own personal experience (benchmark tests may prove otherwise) the Adobe CS3 software runs as fast if not faster on my iMac, possibly due to the optimised Intel code. Of course at home I am not ripping large files or anything, only freelance design work, but for the cost I am really enjoying the iMac!!

As rtwdwk mentioned there has been a lot written about the glossy screens and colour critical work. I would tend to agree, the screens really are nice to view the family happy snaps on, watch DVDs, etc. Personally I haven't had any problems yet although I do think if you're working in upmarket photography or anything colour critical a higher end display would probably be better. But for your run of the mill junk mail work it more than does the job!!

So yea, I love it, may not be the best machine for everyone, and definitely take a look at one in-store to check the monitor out before making a purchase. It really is glossy....

Cheers, Tony

Leave a comment:

• disbellj
    replied

I appreciate that John W.

Don

Leave a comment:

• John W
    replied

Hi again Don,
    Look, I never said that all my jobs rewrap, I said I'm at risk if even one does.
    It's the apps that use different kerning tables, not the OS's. But if you use a modern font manager running OSX, and it uses the new tables and you open a classic document say Q4 or worse, an older Adobe app, funny things MAY / WILL happen and that is not acceptable. Even the chance that it may happen is not acceptable in our shop. Plus French, German etc accents are a huge issue depending on hoe they were entered by the designer!
    If Classic works for you, terrific; no need to change. But appreciate this, if I print 50,000 copies on 28pt board C2S and any part is wrong, I have just wiped out the profit for the next freggin quarter nearly. We are not printing on paper Don. Where you might get the 50K on four or five skids, our board wil occupy 30 skids! Cannot take the risk, period. Okay?
    Thanks for the dialogue.
    John W

Leave a comment:

• disbellj
    replied

John W,

Lack of speed can be an issue I suppose, if you use it a lot. I rarely use it. I've opened all these old files in QX 6.5 and haven't had one problem with type re-wrap yet.

But as far as tracking or kerning between OS 9 and Classic being different? Never heard that before. In fact, I can't find anything on google about it.

Being able to work in the latest version of a software would help narrow down what apps you'd have to "keep track of". If someone has a problem doing this, then I would rather them not do it. But for me, I took the leap long ago and haven't regretted it since. ymmv

Don

Leave a comment:

• John W
    replied

Hey Don,
    I also have nearly forgotten but do remember the most inportant one other than lack of speed.
    The font management is OSX (ie: kerning and tracking is different) while Classic is used for the legacy apps and of course, legacy files. That in itself is hugely risky.
    As I recall, there were about three other issues but my poor brain is now busy running 11 apps at a time instead of four like I had to do ten years ago so I have just deleted the other data from my cRAM (new coined term for human brain limits).
    My colleague tells me I will need to juggle double that and more in the next few years what with pageflex, Neo, Cyber this and that, Geo; gadzooks, you name it!
    Cheers,
    John W

Leave a comment:

• disbellj
    replied

I've never had any problems running Classic, or it messing up anything. But if you feel better not doing it, cool. You've probably told me the "risk on legacy files" but I've forgotten. Can you please refresh my memory?

As far as CCC, I guess it has been a while since I used it. I forgot it could clone a HD onto another HD. Been using PsyncX so long to do the same thing...

Thanks John.

Don

Leave a comment:

• John W
    replied

<I do remember now that you run OS 9 and OS X on different machines, where I keep them both on the same machine.>
    No, same CPU but separate internal HD's. When in Jaguar, we ran two partitions, when in Tiger we run separate HD's to protect the 9 environment. You recall we never allow Classic to boot - too damn slow and some risks on legacy files.
    <CCC made a bootable image correct? Then it has to be restored to actually be able to boot from it correct? It's not as easy as a restart is it? . . .>
    No, it makes an exact duplicate of the HD contents (if you want it to and on a separate clean drive or partition) and bootable (not dmg actually). Then we disconnect that one to protect the ops from themselves!
    <The one thing I hate is when I hold down option when starting up my Mac and I get all these icons that all look the same but don't have any names for me to know exactly which partition I'm booting.>
    That's why I only keep the two versions available (ie only 2 icons) with the option Key, then never a hassle deciding.
    John W

Leave a comment:

• disbellj
    replied

rtwdwk,

Thanks for letting us know that. I'm sure you know much more about that then I do and I appreciate the heads-up.

Don

Leave a comment:

• disbellj
    replied

John W.,

I do remember now that you run OS 9 and OS X on different machines, where I keep them both on the same machine.

CCC made a bootable image correct? Then it has to be restored to actually be able to boot from it correct? It's not as easy as a restart is it? Just checking, cause I would be interested in being able to boot from an image (Windows or Mac), and the only way I've found to do this is by virtualization (which means you have to have a running OS to run the VM, which is not a problem).

What I ultimately think would be very cool is to have an external HD (FireWire, USB 2.0, and eSATA) which I could plug in to a machine, push the power button on the machine, a boot manager come up and give me choices of fully configured operating system images to boot. This way, the external HD would have a boot manager at the beginning and would have multiple images, one image from each machine in my room or the whole building (Windows and Mac). Of course this is only a dream at this point and I couldn't tell you how I would keep them all up-to-date. I got a pretty good setup here now, I just can't help but to think of ways to make it easier/faster/more efficient (even if not plausible).

The one thing I hate is when I hold down option when starting up my Mac and I get all these icons that all look the same but don't have any names for me to know exactly which partition I'm booting. This is only a problem when I use option when starting, which I rarely have to use, but it is annoying and I know it's got to be a font issue, I just don't know which font I need to load I guess.

Don

Leave a comment:

• rtwdwk
    replied

The new iMacs are a no go for any critical color work. Not only the glossy screen issues, but the lcd panels are low end. Lots of information abouth them and the bit depth out there. Run a google search.

Leave a comment:

• pmkprog
    replied

Another thing that I thought I should mention is that the machine's users were managed remotely like all of the PCs in the shop.
    The only issue with this was that when that server that managed the users went down, you couldn't log in, but other than that I didn't see any problems with the machine. At this stage in the game, I would keep a G4 around for those few customers that still use old apps.
    About three weeks ago I had to reinstall Quark 4 on a PC just to do a customer's job.

Leave a comment:

• John W
    replied

Don,
    My CCC is bootable, I made it that way.
    I don't like a bootable copy on the internal drives or live externals because as you may recall, we boot back and forth between OS's all day long and I don't want an operator on any shift booting from the B/U by mistake and as you may also know, the one that presents it self first in the start up queue is the last one you dicked with and not a common & sensible order on each Mac plus it shows differently in each OS too.
    I could use admin and separate op accounts but all that does is complicate a simple and smooth dept. Plus what about nine? KISS for sure.
    Hope that answers your question why we do what we do.
    Cheers,
    John

Edited by: John Willis on Sep 24, 2007 1:11 PM

Leave a comment:

• disbellj
    replied

pmkprog,

Thanks for the reply. Sounds like I could get one and it last me at least 7 years (like these Dual 500 MHz G4's have lasted over 7 years and are still going, so well that I haven't been able to justify upgrading, especially to a Mac Pro for sure).

As far as the gloss screen, it's been complained about enough that I doubt Apple doesn't know about it. It's the biggest complaint I've been hearing (and about the only complaint), from reading message boards, etc. Sounds like a matte screen option would be a good idea for prepress/printing?

Don

Leave a comment:

4OverCanonKBAAvantiXeroxSmartsoft (Presswise)DuploAMSEnfocus

Free Download

Collapse

Trade Show Survey=
Instant October Trade Show Survey
Come On! Only 5 Questions

PRINT 19 and PRINTING United are squaring off in October.
Will you be at one of them?
Both? Neither?
Please take our 1-Minute survey to tell us about your plans for the two big fall shows!

Take The Survey.

CanonXeroxSmartsoft (Presswise)DuploAvantiGraph Expo4OverKBAAMSAvantiEnfocusGraph Expo

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5296 users online. 91 members and 5205 guests.

Most users ever online was 6,855 at 12:33 PM on 06-06-2019.

Working...
X