Color copier is showing color click on art showing as straight K in acrobat

adamh

We run high end color copiers. I have a document that is 4 color on page 1, straight K on page 2. I export into acrobat from indesign and when looking at the separations in acrobat, it shows page 2 as straight black. When I go to print the job on our color copier, I'm paying for color clicks for the black page.

Any idea why this could be happening?

Edited by: adamh on Sep 28, 2007 3:20 PM

Edited by: adamh on Sep 28, 2007 3:25 PM

Re: Color copier is showing color click on art showing as straight K in acr

seem that you machine cannot find out what color it used.
Normally this kind of machine depend on what you set in print dialog. If you set it as color print, it count color click, you set b/w print, it count b/w click.
For some machine, it can auto find out, I had try printing only 1 page have 1 color black only(not 4 color black)
although I set "color" in print dialog, when it print, it still count as b/w click.

Yeah you might want to send all your straight K pages separately in order to get it to count as a straight K click. You also might want to make sure that the PDF you're sending isn't in the RGB color space, as the "straight K" could actually be RGB Black. Your RIP or PPD (depending on the settings) might not be converting it to CMYK black before it prints, thus causing it to count as a color click.

Re: Color copier is showing color click on art showing as straight K in acrobat

Are you including marks in your pdf? I know this seems obvious, but even if the work is all black, the marks in registration would cause the page to be seen as CMYK.

Also, you might try sending just the black separation. (This also is rather obvious, I guess)

Just a couple of thoughts!

Ughh, double-post. I guess there is no option to delete an post one made.

Edited by: Greg Firestone on Oct 2, 2007 5:59 PM

Hi Adamh,

I agree with color_prepress. Our Ricoh only looks at what we send. For us it depends on how we specifiy the file in the PS settings of the Print Driver. If we leave it on color, we get charged for color, even if the document is 100% K only pages. If we select Black and White, it works correctly.

Regards,
Greg

Systems Engineer
OneVision, Inc.

The strange thing is, if I send three jobs to print, all with a 4C side and a straight K side, only one is recording color clicks for the K side. Its inconsistent. I can't find the commonality that's causing it.

Edited by: adamh on Oct 4, 2007 10:46 AM

I bet you are using a Fiery. Which RIP/DFE and device are you using?

Try sending the black plate as device gray instead of "black" by itself and see what happens. If you go through the prepressforums.com archives there's a bunch of info I wrote that may be of assistance.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back