Needing to Upgrade to Preps 5.1 - G4 vs. G5

89bears

I am currently running Preps 4.2 on a very old G3 and need to upgrade to Preps 5.1. Only problem is I have a very limited budget to spend. I have a extra G4 that I would like to use but reading the Operating Specs for Preps it says you need a G5. Is that true? If not is there someone out there running Preps 5.1 on a G4 and if so what did you do to upgrade?

Re: Needing to Upgrade to Preps 5.1 - G4 vs. G5

I just (last week) replaced my blue and white G3/350 running Preps 4.23 with new Mini core 2 duo 1.83 ($599). I put Preps 5.3 on it and it is a screamer!!!

default 1GB. I was thinking to put 2GB but Preps is using only 53MB the most and 16% Cpu utilization. No need for more unless you will use it for other apps too. I am using my 2 minis for Preps only. With gigabit ethernet it's really fast.

I believe at my last job I was running 5.1 without any problems on a G4.
I think the main thing was the operating system. I was running Panther where the other G4s were running Jaguar.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back