16-up Imposition

joshGBP

Hello all - I'm new to the forum, and I wasn't sure exactly where to post this question. I'm trying to put together some 16-up templates, and I can't figure out where the pages should go for the different page counts. Does anyone have any 16-up templates (schematics) that they could send me? Thanks in advance! -Josh

Last edited:
Do you have a folding dummy that you are working from? That should tell you where to put the pages in your template. What software are you using for you impos?

I don't have a dummy to work from, which would really help, you're right. I use Preps for imposition. These templates will be for another press, potential customer, and I'm hoping to set up all the templates that I might need before-hand. Thanks for the fast reply by the way!

Strange reply... am I missing something?

That was a joke :)

really making a dummy is really simple.. create 8.5 x 11 sheets and fold it where it would fold it on the press/or folder.

Number them 1-16 the unfold it and that is your placement of #.. I gave the simple and fast explaination.

Just email me if you need further info..

Sorry for my sarcasm. What I was trying to get across is that if you do not have a dummy, just make one. No need to ask anyone for one.

Al

Sorry, should have clarified.. I meant 16 pages per side, so a single sheet would have 32pgs. I suppose the final imposition would have to be based on the press it's intended for, as there are so many variables on this type of imposition. I don't have the setup details for the press, so the question probably can't be answered here - and I can't fold down a mockup without knowing the press.

Sorry, should have clarified.. I meant 16 pages per side, so a single sheet would have 32pgs.

Is this the kind of thing you're looking for?
32pages-1.jpg

If so, contact me offline and I'll send you more like this with variants based on bindery needs.

best, gordon p

my print blog here: Quality In Print current topic: HiFi color implementation

Last edited:
You should also check with the bindery person involved since they would have to do the folding and cutting and could have a preference as to how to lay out the imposition.

-Sev

For any Preps (or other imposition software) template you need to know the sheet size. The particular press to be used should only affect the set back. But the most important thing you need to know to determine the template page numbering is how the *bindery* will be folding the sheet (not how you can fold a dummy sheet).

You can't proceed without that. As shown in Gordon's excellent diagrams there are two ways to make the last fold, but not shown is that there are other ways to make the other folds as well.

Of course there are other details needed such as gutters, etc.

Al

Gordo you are the man.... Some people had already thought of making good money after Josh GBP rather then helping him out. Thanks we need people like you in this world.

mrgraphics,

If by "Some people had already thought of making good money..." you are referring to my post, please read the follow up posts along that branch of the thread.

Thank you,

Al

You should also check with the bindery person involved since they would have to do the folding and cutting and could have a preference as to how to lay out the imposition.

-Sev

This is very important. There are a lot of ways to produce a 32-up, and depending on sheet size, weight, bind-type, your bindery's equipment, etc. they will use different ones.

Imposition

Imposition

Many more questions to be asked regarding a 32 page layout. Is this for a saddle stitched or Perfect bound book? Printed sheetfed or on a web? What is the finished page size?

Do you have an imposition manual for the folder that it is going to be run through? You may be folding the sheet twice in the first plates and then going to the right angle for the second two folds.

How much top, face and bottom trim will be needed?

Twitch

My first question would be what is the stock? If they cannot answer this I would just ignore the request, because w/o this extremely critical information you cannot even attempt a dummy. Anything other than very lightweight stock will not work, or work with a very poor outcome. You really need more info or you will be setting yourself up for imminent disaster.

If and when you do get the stock specs. you should ALWAYS try to fold it manually, then go and ask the bindery if this is possible with their equipment!

Yeah... bottom line, without talking to the printer who is printing the job and getting the specs from them, there is no way you can pre-set-up the job for the correct imposition. There are the press variables such as the gripper set-back and such. Marks they may want like special color bars or slug lines. All the numbering would be based on the type of binding and the actual folding sequence of their equipment.

You're best off just letting them do the imposition. I would guess they have their own templates set up and it will take them no time.

Good luck!
Michael

My first question would be what is the stock? If they cannot answer this I would just ignore the request, because w/o this extremely critical information you cannot even attempt a dummy. Anything other than very lightweight stock will not work, or work with a very poor outcome. You really need more info or you will be setting yourself up for imminent disaster.

If and when you do get the stock specs. you should ALWAYS try to fold it manually, then go and ask the bindery if this is possible with their equipment!

Actually stock has nothing to do with a dummy.. all a dummy does is give you the page placement, whether its tissue paper, book paper, blue paper, etc.

I agree that the bindery has the correct info

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back