PDF or EPS from Quark7

Re: PDF or EPS from Quark7

I set output as CMYK + Spot, and export PDF for Adobe to distill through Watched folder.

Make a new folder on your desktop or where you want to have the Distiller Watched folder. Name it something you want to. I name mine 'Distilled PDFs' and put it on my Work partition.

I duplicate the PDF/X-1a joboptions in Distiller, and uncheck 'Allow PostScript file to override Adobe PDF Settings' in Advanced tab. Also uncheck 'Subset embedded fonts...' in Fonts tab if you may be editing the type in the PDF later on. Save joboptions as your name you want.

Go to Settings menu > Watched folders. There Add a new Watched folder, choose the folder that you made 'Distilled PDFs'. (Note: Distiller makes two folders in that folder - one named 'In' and one named 'Out'). Load the joboptions file you just made. Click OK. Now you have a Watched folder for Distiller.

Set Quark 7 preferences > PDF to make PostScript for later Distilling. Choose the 'In' folder of your Distiller Watched folder.

Create a new Output Style in Quark 7 (I recommend staying up-to-date with Quark 7, now at 7.3). Name your PDF Style. I set my Verification to PDF/X-1a: 2001. HyperLinks: Uncheck Include Hyperlinks. Compression: None, and Keep Resolution. Color: Composite CMYK and Spot. Marks: Mode: Centered, Width: .003, Length: .333, Offset .167 (This is how I get exactly .5" all the way around trim/my page centered in the "trim plus 1 inch" of width and height). Bleed: Symmetric .167 (so always have at least 1/8 inch as long as it's there in the art), Clip at Bleed Edge. Transparency: Set my resolution to 300 across the board. OPI: uncheck OPI active. JDF: Uncheck Output JDF (unless you're using JDF). Click OK.

Now when you need to export a PDF from Quark 7, just make sure Distiller is running, and in Quark 7, go File menu > Export > Layout to PDF. A window will pop up and the default folder should be the 'In' folder of the Distiller Watched folder. For PDF Style, choose your PDF style you made. Click OK. When the PDF is done being created, then it can be dropped on your rip hotfolder.

The one thing I've noticed is that Quark, even if you set the output to CMYK, will only convert the Spot colors inside Quark to CMYK. The Spots made outside Quark will remain as Spots in the PDF. I take care if this by letting my rip use the Alternate CMYK values of the Spot color in the PDF to make my output CMYK only with no Spots if needed.

Don

I know this is from a few months ago, but I have a question. Why wouldn't you just print from Quark using the Adobe pdf driver and your distiller job options?
Then you wouldn't have to mess with watched folders or make sure distiller is running.
Are there any reasons not to do this?

Creating a PDF from the Print Dialog in Quark is fine.

Edited by: ReneG on Jan 7, 2008 1:23 PM

Yes, less key strokes for me. And Export PDF (actually PS and let Adobe make the PDF) is what I recommend. Has something changed that makes this a problem (since everything else but this gave problems, changed things without me wanting, etc.)?

Don

I think both methods make a PDF the exact same way. Both are creating a postcript to be made into a PDF, but with the print method I can select the Adobe PDF driver and then select my distiller settings under PDF settings. That way the postscript code is intercepted and converted to a PDF using distiller in the background.
The ability to select distiller options might be new. I don't really know. It might be a feature of the new Adobe printer driver with CS3, but again I am not sure. The reason I think it might be new is because it is new to me. I tried this method about a year ago before I had CS3 and I don't remember being able to select distiller settings. At that point, the PDF's were no good. Now, they look perfect (and preflight perfect), it is faster and you only have one file. I just wanted to check hear to make sure that there was not something that I was missing.

Dan R.

We use Rampage and FontWizard Export. There are times the pdf is better, RIP wise. So far, there's been no problem with the export or print (PDF driver). Export from the Mac, print from PC.

Frank

Edited by: Frank on Jan 16, 2008 8:58 PM

Don,

I liked your way of creating postscript so much that I forwarded it to my work email address (from home) and implemented it. It works great for us! Thanks for taking the time to post it.

One question though. You mentioned in your post that you modified your PDFX/1a setting by unchecking "Allow PostScript file to override Adobe PDF Settings'". Why did you choose that setting? Why would you want to force the Adobe PDF settings to over-ride the PS file?

thanks again,

Hairfarm

The options I choose in Quark to make the postscript are set to not let Quark do any compression. If I didn't uncheck the override box in Adobe Distiller's joboptions, then the PDF would no have compression, and the PDF would be huge. So I uncheck this box to make a PDF with the same compression Adobe uses for it's PDF/X-1a default, which results in a smaller PDF like Adobe would make out of their own program.

Don

Basically, I can just go File > Export to PDF, choose my settings, not have to alter any options, and just click OK. Then I just make sure Distiller is started. No setting up Quark Print window options before making PDF, because every option is already set up.

Don

RS,

You're welcome by the way. Thanks for posting. It made my day. It's nice to know that I've helped someone streamline their workflow better. Makes all the difference in the world doesn't it?

Don

It is basically the same for me. Mine is ?P > choose pre-set printer setting > enter
This works best for me because:
No Postscript file to mess with
I can save more than one print pre-set in Quark
I can also save multiple pre-set's in the apple print dialog as well with different Distiller settings for different kinds of jobs and select these pre-sets right from Quark. Basically this just means that I don't have to go to Distiller and change settings.

Whatever your workflow is, you are going to be fast at it. My workflow works the best for me, but they are definitely both legitimate workflows that result in the same thing, a high quality PDF that's not too bulky.

But still, if we ever meet in person, we should have a PDF race:=}
– –
º º
?
__

Dan. R

Deal. The great thing about my workflow (to me), is the fact I can have one setup for all jobs, just like I have one setup in InDesign Export PDF for all jobs.

Don

That is really the key. Everyone has different needs and different worflows to accommodate those needs.

Instead of just a PDF race though, we should hold the "prepress olympics." A room full of computers that contain files that need to be PDFed, preflighted and corrected. Every file has a problem that must be fixed. You will be judged on speed, quality and accuracy. It would be the ultimate expression of prepress geekdom!

©??°©
–––––

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back