Screen Fonts issue

Tech

Hi All,
Does anyone know a quick method to preflight files that only have screen fonts collected or detect missing printer fonts (FlightCheck isn't consistent doing this)? This is an annoying problem when designers aren't aware of what they are using.

Thanks.

Edited by: Tech on Oct 26, 2007 2:31 PM

Re: Screen Fonts issue

Acrobat's Documents Properties Fonts tab will tell you if the fonts are embedded. Is that what you are asking about?

Nope, I triple check our designer's layouts in various stages... what isn't so easy is we also received or work with much older files... pre-PDF day stuff. We are talking about a mix used of true type/post script and now OTF. It's just too easy to overlook something and not catch what is loading and what isn't in native files.

Today for instance, a font called Meta loaded in FontXplorer and looks fine in Quark 6&7, it even flightcheck correctly. The strange part is in FontXplorer only screen font is loaded and with our vendor not being able to load this typeface, it's safe to assume 1) they didn't try hard enough to load the font; 2) the font they received is corrupted; 3) only screen font is ever used in this project but no one knew printer font is missing.

BTW, anyone here tried TransType? Anyone use this to convert older true type or postscripts into OTF for printing?

I'm confused...

The concept of "screen font" vs. "printer font" hasn't existed in Mac OS
since Mac OS X (and possibly a bit before in 9.x)...What you see is what
you get - period! Doesn't matter if it's Type 1, TTF or OTF.

Can you give us some more information about what the REAL problem is?

Leonard

I feel your pain! The thing is, that Meta crap font is very problematic. It in its self is the problem. It just doesn't work right. Add all the Meta fonts you can find in your font management software of your choice, then add those bastards in Font Book also, and re-start your Mac. That's what works for me. I HATE Meta. . . Meta, Meta Plus, Meta Plus Headache after headache!!!

> {quote:title=leonardr wrote:} The concept of "screen font" vs. "printer font" hasn't existed in Mac OS since Mac OS X (and possibly a bit before in 9.x)...What you see is what you get - period! Doesn't matter if it's Type 1, TTF or OTF.

Leonard{quote}

I'm confused now as well...

we, to this day, still get old fonts from clients that have a screen and printer version and if you don't have both halves, you can't use it (and these are Type 1 fonts, Truetype fonts and Open type fonts only have one part).

It seems unless you experience this like Danny and I have, it's hard to believe old postscript type 1 fonts can cause such problem. Keep in mind, Meta is an old multiple master font (with multiple parts) and from what I read these fonts stinks when it comes to publishing.

What I'm trying to say is, current font management programs will load these multiple font(s) and identify it as screen type only. It loads and prints fine from Quark/InDesign until it reached our vendors, who can't always load and print them.

I agree, the Multi Master fonts will work on occasion, and not on others.
I've had them load into Suitcase, but then you couldn't get them out. I had to toss the prefs and database to clear Suitcase out so I could load other fonts.

> {quote:title=leonardr wrote:}{quote}
> I'm confused...
>
> The concept of "screen font" vs. "printer font" hasn't existed in Mac OS
> since Mac OS X (and possibly a bit before in 9.x)...What you see is what
> you get - period! Doesn't matter if it's Type 1, TTF or OTF.

Lotsa' Type 1 fonts still being employed. OSX hasn't changed the necessity for having screen and printer fonts for output of Type 1 fonts, has it?

rich

Rich,

In a word - no (which you knew that). At least us prepress techs know that cause we have to deal with them daily.
Just cause OpenType may be what's being pushed today to be used, most times I still get Type 1 fonts.

Don

Yes, and Mac OS X contains a NATIVE Type 1 font rendering engine.

AFAIK, it doesn't use the "bitmap/screen" fonts that Mac OS 9 used to -
it only deals with outline font data. As such, it won't even bother to
look at those bitmaps just sitting around wasting space on your disk.

Leonard

Just to follow up on myself...

The following URL from Apple's website may help.

<http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=25251>

Leonard

> Yes, and Mac OS X contains a NATIVE Type 1 font rendering engine.
>
> AFAIK, it doesn't use the "bitmap/screen" fonts that Mac OS 9 used to -
> it only deals with outline font data. As such, it won't even bother to
> look at those bitmaps just sitting around wasting space on your disk.
>
> Leonard

then why do we have problems when we don't have both parts and you try to .ps out?

quote from the Apple link about Type 1 fonts that Leonard posted:

PostScript Type 1 (with double-byte support). Adobe PostScript fonts launched the desktop publishing industry and are used today by publishers, corporations, and government agencies for high-quality output to laser printers, imagesetters, and platesetters. Each PostScript font requires two files, one for the screen and one for use by the printer's RIP (raster image processor). Mac OS X is the only operating system that provides native PostScript Type 1 font support.

So we do have two parts and Apple supports them?

and about MM fonts:

Multiple Master. This special type of PostScript font allows variation of one or more font parameters (such as weight) to create a large number of custom styles, also known as instances. Mac OS X can activate already created instances of Multiple Master fonts.
(this one I have trouble with cause they just don't work with the apps, not the OS, but the Apps, like Quark for one and Suitcase for another).

I did more digging and I'm testing FontDoctor right now. This might be the solution for our workflow—scan > detect problem fonts at initial design stages should be the best method to prevent font issues downstream. If we can identify bad fonts early on, we can replace them early and wonder why printer are sending bad proofs to us.

Thanks everyone for replying.

> {quote:title=Tech wrote:}{quote}
> I did more digging and I'm testing FontDoctor right now.

we use Font doctor and it works great...

it tosses all the type 1 fonts out that don't have both halves, and others fonts that are corrupt and un-repairable...

most of the time.

(I'm being facetious here, I have recently had more than my share of trouble with suitcase and I am currently researching font management alternatives.)

Leonard,

Place the printer fonts (postscript fonts) in /User/Username/Library/Fonts/, and see if they are seen by Adobe or Quark applications. They won't be. Must have screen fonts too. If the screen fonts are added to the /User/Username/Library/Fonts/ folder (so that both screen and printer parts of font is in same location), then Adobe and Quark apps will see and use them.

This just proves we continue to need both parts of a Type1 font for our programs to see and use the font.

Don

Hi Tech

I've run into the same sort of problems with Meta in the past. One way that has worked for us is to copy the screen fonts into a new font folder using "move fonts" under the Font Doctor tools menu. Sometimes this will clean out hidden issues in the screen font file that get missed with font repair utilities. I usually keep an empty font suitcase handy to use as a starting point. Also some of the utilities that break font suitcases up can play havok with fonts and combining all the faces into a single suitcase can sometimes help get them working again.

On a related note, anyone know of a utility that lets you work with font suitcases in the old OS9 way? I've been using Font Doctor and an old OS9 machine for this, but would love a simple drag and drop method to fix the messed up legacy fonts we ocassionaly run into.

Shawn

be aware that you need TransType PRO, not the bog-standard version, to be able to convert to OTF. Our main op has it, and uses it mainly for converting PC jobs. Just to minimise any hassles, I guess. AFAIK it has no worthy competitors in the market. Does work very well, I believe, but limited personal experience.

> Just to follow up on myself...
>
> The following URL from Apple's website may help.
>
> <http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=25251>

So, if I understand the cited document a Type 1 font can be restructured to contain all parts in one package - a .dfon. But, if you're working with Type 1 fonts in their original structure both the screen and printer parts are still necessary.

rich

frailer,

If using Type 1 Windows fonts on Mac OS X, just drop the fonts into Adobe's application's fonts folder or (if you want more than one program to see it) /User/Username/Library/Fonts, and the Adobe app(s) will be able to see it. No need to convert Windows Type 1 fonts for Mac OS X to use.

Don

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back