Laser Film Outputter

alext

Hi,

We currently have a HP5100 that was recommended by many fellow professionals. However i find it useless, and it cant for it's life hold a solid or any decent form of output.

I need a decent laser printer that is PS and will allow us to flip and seperations etc. Eventually we are looking to go CTF with an imagesetter but i need a decent laser printer currently!

What does anyone reccomend?

Re: Laser Film Outputter

We used a few different laser printers at the last place I worked to print camera-ready artwork, and I don't think there was a big quality difference between them. The only model I specifically remember was a Laserjet 5MP. What I do remember very well is that nice smooth laser paper is essential. I tried many different kinds, and I got the best results from Domtar Microprint 32# Color Copy. The heavy weight is important for registering color to color and side to side, and the smooth finish is important for solids and screen integrity. We never went above 85lpi for laser artwork. Domtar also makes a finish of Microprint called "Laser" which is almost as good and less expensive. Also, always use the HP brand toner, never get the generic (e.g., Office Depot) brands of toner. No matter how much the salespeople assure you that they are just as good, they are not. For everyone but a printer, I'm sure they're just as satisfying, but it's annoying when those tiny little specks reproduce 10,000 times on the customers stock.

We do use the original HP toners! To be honest everyone says how good it is so i think it must be our printer that is useless! Maybe it could do with a refurb!

You might also check that you have the correct PPD installed on the computer you're printing from, and then double-check all of the printer-specific options when printing. For example, there might be quality settings (e.g., best, normal, fast, toner save, etc.) that determine toner density. There may also be options that affect the speed at which the stock goes through and the fusing temperature, which would affect how well the toner is fused to the paper. I believe if the printer thinks it is printing on light paper, it may go through faster or at a lower temperature than if it thinks you're printing on a heavier stock. The toner cartridges typically contain all of the critical imaging components (that's why they're so expensive), and the printer is just an electronic and physical interface to prepare the image and pass the paper through.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back