Trapping

Re: Trapping

mark,
A lot of water has passed under the workflow bridge since the 90s, and it's true there were some more hooks like Signa and the screening. There was some UI stuff as well, and if you look at the Nexpress DFE, there were lots of pieces that were also used with the joint venture that still look great today. I did work with making similar buttons in the Print Console and believe it or not, there was a customer who wanted sound effects when you pushed the buttons with a touch screen. Must be nice.

I haven't played with Supertrap recently, but my comments about "trapping of old" should best be left to patent people and historians and product managers who knew the whole story. My foggy limited memories are between me and the archives.

My cohort, Rob Morgan at Kodak is much more current in the daily offerings, current trapping functionality etc. and I will hand over the mic to him for the issues and offerings of our products as it pertains to users today.

Also, I retract my mention of Agfa trap file. Cheap shot. I will gladly show you how our system traps your problem files, and you can be the judge of how that works for you.

I still appreciate how every at Graph Expo, Drupa, Print show we turn off the vendor mode and give private demos to competitors (except for SOME companies who are booked solid somehow 20 minutes before the end of the show... poke poke) and we could have a beer after and say "That's a cool feature". Hope to see some of you in Dusseldorf Germany at the end of May for an Alt beer.

All of our products are hopefully built with the end-user in mind and it is open forums like this where that goal is respected by all vendors and we all realize that our customers are the reason we exist. It is in that sentiment that I hope we can get back to other stuff like mitering, split lines, 3 color joins and rendering setting discussions.

Peace,
Allan Larson
Kodak

Hi Allan,

Unfortunately, "trapping of old" is in my memory banks, I was a Chromacom Demonstrator for Hell so I still remember that. As for Screening, I worked for Hell as a Scenner Instructor in the late 70's when Electronic Dot Generation was released by Dr. Hell with the DC 300A and then the DC300B, that was Rational Tanget, the great Irrational Screening was yet to come. I was there in the middle 80s when Hell release the first Color Digital Proofer, the CPR403. So now I am realy upset, you just made me realise how old I am getting.:0
Now, did you ever get the sounds effect to work with the touch screen?

Regards,

Mark Tonkovich
Heidelberg USA
Product Manager, CtP & Proofing

Vee,

I love that kind of recommendation! Tied all together is SO important. Tech support is SO important. THANK YOU!

Now, have you worked with Kodak Prinergy for a comparison?

Don

It was 25 years ago that the Commodore 64 came out and I remember typing in a skiing game in Basic in the console, save it to cassette tape, and play. It sucked. But it was the best selling computer to the masses. I heard a guy at CRAY Supercomputers bought one to heat his garage.

The days of the craft are evolving into a new manufacturing/communication world. That's fine by me.

Whether it is trapping, ink, websites, whatever, we all have to keep moving like a shark or we die.

If it makes you feel better, I feel old too. Not that old, but that's relative. :)

Cheers,
Allan Larson
Kodak

Hello Don,

Yes, tied together is important, in the grand scheme of things.
No, I have not worked on Prinergy in a production environment.
But I'd gladly answer any questions regarding Heidelberg's prepress apps & support
from an End user/avid supporter stance.

Vee

If you have good in rip trapping then most of the time leave it on, only drawback is the time it takes to rip, if its a whole catalogue of photos then you wont need it, if youve got text over shaded backgrounds then you would be best to use it, a lot of workflows let you define areas to trap, so that would make things even easier, I can remember the days of manual trapping with illustrator, im glad they have gone. It is almost a science, its pretty clever how these guys work out what to trap and with what method, always amazes me.

Edited by: max on Dec 14, 2007 9:16 AM

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back