how to convert PDF text to vector outlines - and other elements

Dadobedoo

*SCENARIO:* you need to manipulate or extract vector information in a PDF - +but+

illustrator or indesign, without the proper installed fonts the document calls for, won't open it properly for manipulation

*NEEDED* - Indesign & Illustrator (opened at the same time -)

*STEPS:*

1. Open InDesign & Illustrator (make a new document in each program)
2. in InDesign, place the pdf needed.
3. under LINKS menu, choose that pdf, right click, embed file.
4. Get out of LINKS menu, go to the Indesign document, and drag the pdf from Indesign to the new document in Illustrator and drop it there. (you can do this buy draging the pdf to the Illustratror icon on the taskbar, waiting till illustrator comes up (be patient) and then releasing into the document.

+Voila!+ previously unavailable text has now been converted to outlines.

Edited by: Chris on Nov 9, 2007 2:25 PM

Re: how to convert PDF text to vector outlines - and other elements

Chris,

Thanks for the workaround. Nice. Would be better if we didn't have to do this, but if it works in a situation and allows us to get a job out, then so be it. Thanks again.

Don

Hrmm; didn't work for me. I got the pdf file into Illustrator, but the font information was still there, and without the fonts loaded, it was kinda messy.

Two questions for clarity;
1. What versions of Illustrator & InDesign are you using, and on what platform? (I'm using CS3 on Mac.)
2. In step 4, am I dragging the placed pdf from the InDesign workspace to the Illustrator workspace?

Thanks!
--
Dave

I got some of the text to convert when I tested, but not all. I can't figure out why some gets converted and some doesn't.

I'll bet you can invoke some nasty color changes, too.

rich

Chris,
I tried your workaround. It would not work with CS2 on a Mac. It behaved the same as if one opened the PDF directly with ill. What do you get if you open from ill?
Thanks anyway. These little tricks help with my survival.
Jason

OR....

Using pitstop, open pdf, open pitstop inspector, do a "select all" and click "convert text to outlines".

Kevin,
I could not find the convert text to outline tool in Pitstop. I am using 6.52 Maybe I can't with this version. I wish I could.

Open the pdf in InDesign (or pitstop 6 and below).

Make a box near the artwork, fill it with a colour, set to 0% opacity. This introduces transparency to the document.

In Acrobat choose the transparency flattener or export out of InDesign as 1.3, - in your flattener presets make sure "convert all text to outlines" is selected.

what the hell, whats up with the first name business?!

Another way to convert text to outlines, particularly good when fonts haven't been embedded or you get RIP errors:

Launch InDesign
---
Open the Transparency Flattener Presets and build a new preset:
Raster/Vector Balance = 99
Line Art and Text Resolution = 2540
Gradient and Mesh Resolution - 317
Convert All Strokes to Outlines = yes
Convert All Text to Outlines = yes
Clip Complex Regions - yes
Save as a custom preset (i.e. - text_to_curves)
---
Create a new InDesign document the correct size of your project.
Place your page/s.
Place a box filled with "Paper" color - over - the entire page.
(or - just over the text blocks you wish to turn to curves.
Apply a Transparency of "1" to the white boxes you just created.
(This will do nothing to the look of the items below)
---
Either:
- Export to PDF 1.3
- Write postscript - using your "text_to_curves" Flattener Preset in the "Advanced" tab then Distill
- Export to EPS - using your "text_to_curves" Flattener Preset in the "Advanced" tab.

I think this method is easier than the others:

(I tested this using Acrobat 7 professional on the Mac)
-- Open PDF file in Acrobat
-- Save As 'Encapsulated Postscript' format
-- Select the "Settings" button
-- Uncheck 'Convert TrueType to Type 1"
-- Click OK and Save
-- Open new eps file in Illustrator

When Illustrator opens the file it will display the font problems window with missing fonts listed. Just click OK, and the font window will show again, with no fonts missing. The missing fonts have been converted to outlines. The other fonts are not converted.

Woohoo! Thanks for the tip Chris; flattening transparency is the trick!

I used similar steps and got it to work right in Illustrator (CS3);
1. Place the pdf file in an empty Illustrator file
2. With the placed pdf selected, pull down in the Object menu to Flatten Transparency...
3. Make sure Convert All Text To Outlines is selected,
4. Hit OK.

And that's it.

Man is that gonna save me some time!
--
Dave

We've used this when fonts have licensing restrictions, it works for that, too.

Sarah

Please be aware that conversion of font/text->outlines does NOT remove
any licensing restrictions!! You are still in violation of the
copyright restrictions on the typeface itself and the foundry still has
the rights to sue you.

Do so at your own risk - especially now that you've posted to a public
forum.

Leonard

So basically what you're saying, Leonard, is that you can never accept files from a customer where they haven't converted the fonts to outline. If you can't do it yourself, you don't have the font (and don't want to start buying every font a customer uses), someone has to do it before you.

Pretending that people don't use fonts to process jobs that they are not licensed for is like believing in the Easter Bunny or Santa Clause (which at this time of year doesn't pay not to).

This problem has been around for ages with no clear solution in sight.

That said are printers supposed to purchase EVERY font from EVERY foundry in anticipation of receiving a font used on a job?

All our work comes in with fonts converted to paths so it's a non-issue but other printers have to deal with it on a daily basis, what are they to do?

Any ideas?

Huh?? I don't know where you got that from.

I would actually never accept files where the font HAS been converted to
outlines. For quality reasons, for late stage editing reasons, and
certainly for legal reasons.

Leonard

So what you are saying is even if the fonts have been converted to paths you still may not use the document?

Leonard,

Your statement (although probably the correct approach) is typically grandiose and definitely an ivory tower view IMO.
Many and perhaps most designer types have avoided the discussed font issue by automatically converting to outlines and submitting their work in that form. They may even state when questioned, that the outline approach prevents reflow and keeps type changes in their hands and therefore chargeable. They see outlines as sort of a distillation process whereby the printer will have a hard time screwing up. This is the trench reality and has been for some time. Things are changing again and soon fonts will again be de rigeur. Of course, fine serifs are not going to work etc etc but they don't really care it seems unless it is high end work and then the fonts are provided properly becuase the creator is a true professional. That is more and more rare these days.
I have heard that Harlequin Rips will soon have some magical font emulation at the rip that will cause the font problem to go completely away. How it will handle foreign acents and other unusual doings is beyond me but most things are arguably beyond me.

John W

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back