FSC paper standard

PeterA

FSC Chain Of Custerdy for printers is become a big issue in the uk - I would be interested to hear from printers around the world if they are having to become accredited to FSC and what standards they are being asked to meet
Peter Arnel

Re: FSC paper standard

FSC is a big topic in Australia as well. We have had accreditation for a year, many other printers are seeking accreditation soon. Once accredited, there are quite a few implications for your workflow, from stock ordering, storage, labelling to delivery dockets and invoicing. There are different logos you can use, depending on the type and origin of stock used.
FSC is certainly the most popular accreditation here.
Michael
SOS Print + Media, Sydney

Michael
Do u have a written print standard you have developed your procedures from?
Peter

The FSC Standard revolves entirely around your purchasing, handling, storage and use of FSC certifiied Paper. There is no reflection on your method of Print, Ink, Chemistry, or wastage. Just Paper. CoC certification is reletively easy for a Printer to acquire. Contact the FSC and they will put you in touch with a certified auditor (SGS or SmartWood). The auditor will send you the written standard requirements. You implement the procedures and document the training. They come in a Audit.
If anything is out of line they will have you correct it.
A bit of a switch from normal paper handling but nothing major. If your company is already good with documentation you will have no problem adjusting.
It's a little lengthy though, about 2 months from First Contact to certification.

K

We're to become FSC certified by the end of the year as a result of client demand (attain certification or we can no longer do business with you is how it is presented). So its becoming a big issue in the US as well.

Keith
Do your auditors have a specific standard for print that they work to or is it still the FSC single COC standard (really about wood)

Peter
by the way there is a new COC standard being finalised - due to be implemented in the new year

The CoC Standard ( as interpreted by our auditors) does not apply strictly to Printers so there are several area's of it that really do not apply to us. There is some room for interpretation as it's been created to apply to a broad spectrum of wood consumers.
It should really be refined, or maybe a distinct Printer CoC Standard created, as Printers will make a large percentage of the CoC and it can be confusing when trying to implement procedures to accomodate the standard.

KM

It seems to be a huge issue here in the states for sure. Especially in just the last couple months, companies are falling over each other to show the public how "green" they are.

Many printers have been feeing the pressure that Michael mentioned. As a print buyer i received a directive from our management they wanted to ensure we were only doing business with printers that are certified. Fortunately for me, one of our preferred print vendors recently received triple certification and another is halfway through the process. From what i understand, the audit is very no-nonsense but not so outrageous. One item that made me chuckle was that under no circumstances can certified paper be stored next to non certified paper.

Kabel
Thanks for your response - did you know that unless you put a label on the job , it is not covered by the FSC procedures? .
Peter

... by a label do you mean the use of one of the various FSC, SFI or PEFC logos on the printed piece?

I am aware that at present, it takes about two weeks for a customer to get the approval to use one of those logos on their printed piece.

my personal opinion is that using those logos is more of a PR campaign for most companies and less about saving the environment. Of course the positive outcome is just that, it should help to sustain a healthy environment!

My main gripe is that it does not take into account the printers (or the clients) enviromental credentials)- it should at least make sure that the printer has an enviromental policy - I would like it also to state that the product is completly recylclable and only allow laminates by licence when the producr gets wet .

So as a printer I should have

ISO 14001 (or working towards it) - I have that

Use green energy - or working towards it - I have that

Use Vegitable inks - I have that

Go alcohol free - mmmmmmmm working towards that :)

So what FSC would mean in the printing arena is protecting the environment

Peter

I think the FSC covers what it should, it knows the CoC for the wood and that is where it should end, because that is their specialty. I think you are doing the right thing by obtaining your ISO 1400 status. That picks up the environmental theme where FSC leaves off. And now that FSC is in demand by the clients perhaps the ISO standard will be the next demand.

Something that is accessible to anyone are and what many of the paper manufactures (Mohawk, Neenah, Stora Enso, Sappi for example) are all investing in RECs (Renewable Energy Credits).

One interesting stat I heard recently was that the printing industry quietly cleaned up it's industry as a whole over the last several years, to the tune of it now being 95% cleaner than it was five(?) years ago.

Interesting article on SFI I came across today: http://www.treehugger.com/files/2007/10/greenwashing_in.php

Its all smoke and mirrors

What is the point on us printers spending all our time proving to FSC people that we use FSC paper - because thats all COC means - when to cheat is so easy - and those that do will and never be found out - and its all because clienst want to - in FSC words Greenwassh there image" - I am afraid its once again printers being squeesed from both sides with no money in the chain to pay for it - mmmmmmmm rant over:)

peter

I don't disagree; certification appears to be mostly a PR game right now, with the added benefit that it +might+ actually help the environment to some degree. Have to keep hoping it will have a positive effect.

I understand the skeptics, but I believe the FSC is doing a good thing and doing it the right way.
Being a market driven initiative is the most important aspect. Nothing will make us change faster than demand from the source of our money. Even if the demand is slightly mis-guided, no bad can come from increased accountability by those who chop down trees.
As for being squeezed, the only cost associated with being FSC Certified is a small annual fee and a premium on FSC certified paper ( which is passed along to the end-user). It's minimal and pales in comparision to the opportunities gained by being Certified.
With an ever growing List of Certified stocks available, we are starting to see the cost of these papers drop significantly.
It really makes sense, and we should be proud to adopt this standard.

We are years ahead of many industries in this respect.

It's also a huge sales tool. It helps keep work from going offshore, and is a tool for helping your clients "Greenwash" their brand.

If your not already onboard. Even if you don't agree with it. Get onboard.

It's only getting bigger.

And, FSC stock does not have to be stored seperatley from non-certified stock. As long as they are CLEARLY Labeled.

And FSC job that print with no Logo, are still covered by the FSC Standard provided they are printed on FSC Stock. The Logo is optional.

You are audited Yearly and must produce auditable summary reports every six months.

> {quote:title=Keith@Sina wrote:}{quote}
> It's also a huge sales tool. It helps keep work from going offshore, and is a tool for helping your clients "Greenwash" their brand.

Keith, just to be clear, my understanding is "greenwashing" is not a good thing, The term is usually used when significantly more money and/or time is put forth in advertising being green rather than spending the resources on actually practicing environmentally healthy practices.

The idea of the FSC is an interesting concept but the fact that a printer needs to be certified for CoC (Chain of Custody) is taking it a bit to far. All this does is allow you the use the FSC logo. Do you need to be CoC certified in order to purchase and print on FSC stocks?

Don't get me wrong, I am all for environmental protection but I don't think a printer needs to be certified to offer FSC stocks to their customer. It is almost like saying that a printer needs CoC certification for recycled stocks. And when you get right down to it what is greener, FSC stocks or recycled stocks?

A previous post stated that it only cost a small annual fee for certification. They did not say anything about how much the initial cost of certifcation was or if there were any added costs for record keeping and audits.

We are years ahead of many industries in this respect.

It's also a huge sales tool. It helps keep work from going offshore, and is a tool for helping your clients "Greenwash" their brand.

Keith from your reply I am sure you understand the "standard" - and there is no standard for printing as its all about Chain of Custody in wood products. - and each countries relies on consultants to put their spin on what is required. As printers we should demand an international print standard from the FSC so we all operate from alevel playing field
Petrer

Keith
from what you say - you must have been one of the early COC printers - how have you got on with the FSC auditors

Peter

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back