How Can I Convert new Pantone metallic Color to CMYK?

Studiojar

My customer give me a artwork with a solid background in pantone 811C. It printed to a canon color lazer writer give me a bright orange, but it convert to CMYK and printed to image setter give me a pink color. How can I solve the problem?

Re: How Can I Convert new Pantone metallic Color to CMYK?

Cant you just change it to another colour that will be closer to the result you want or is that to obvious
Peter

That's what I had done to do the output. Maybe I should advise the customer to print it in spot whether than in CMYK.

The best thing to do is check with the customer, especially if it is set to be a spot color (colour). It's rare the CMYK will match a PMS Solid ink, especially a metallic. We have always gotten an artist that insists it can be done and they're going to look for a shop that can do it. :)

Frank

First, is your proofer calibrated and profiled to match your press sheet? If not, that's the first step.

Other than that, I would use Relative Colorimetric Intent (the default) to come up with a color match. Unfortunately, for metallics, the outcome doesn't look very good. If you have a calibrated and profiled monitor, you can come up with your own CMYK values that most closely match the metallic color. For instance, I know 877 silver shouldn't be near as dark as what color management makes it (rings true for all metallics that I've seen). So what I can do is make a Photoshop Lab document, fill it with Lab values of the metallic color, make a duplicate, and (making sure the CMYK profile in color settings describes your press output) convert to CMYK. Then use curves to tweak the CMYK one to match the Lab one in appearance.

Don

That's what I had done to do the output. Maybe I should advise the customer to print it in spot whether than in CMYK.

Anthony - I thought you were just trying to proof the metallic colour - why would he prepare artwork with a metaliic ink if he didnt want it printed in metallic ink !!!!
Peter

<<The best thing to do is check with the customer, especially if it is set to be a spot color (colour). It's rare the CMYK will match a PMS Solid ink, especially a metallic. We have always gotten an artist that insists it can be done and they're going to look for a shop that can do it. :)

Frank>>

True dat!

No color laser out there will reproduce a metallic ink accurately. As a matter of fact, I don't think any proofing system can do that. At least not to my knowledge...

>No color laser out there will reproduce a metallic ink accurately. As a matter of fact, I don't think any proofing system can do that.

The Kodak Aproval system will utilize a metallic donor to simulate metallics. Works pretty well actualy, though real expensive. We also simulate metallics with our ink jet proofs by matching Lab values of metallic swatches. This works ok to, but of course there's no sparkle, and metallic swatches appear differently depending on light angle where as the ink jet simulation doesn't. Much less expensive though, so its a trade off..

We have two Kodak Approval XPs, and we do metallic colors all the time (we do allot of car books, so it's critical for paint chips).

We use Lab values to make our recipe colors if they don't already exist.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back