CanonKonica Minolta
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• QUARK 6 TO QUARK 7

Hello all
    Customer supplied Quark 6 design files, when I open them in Quark 7, I am experiencing images moving from their original position.
    Is anyone having the same problem?
    Any fix?
    Any feedback would appreciate it.
    daya

Re: QUARK 6 TO QUARK 7

Is your auto picture import turned on in Quark 7?

you can check by going to your prefs-general

Comment

It is turned off...

Comment

Not a good thing to open a version 6 file in 7. Besides images moving Pantone color builds are different and text may wrap differently, not to mention text reflow. IMO Leopard will never be a viable OS for prepress unless older applications are made to run properly in it, and from the looks of it, thats not going to happen.

Comment

I don't use Q7 to open Q6 files. I have an operator that just loves to do it. This last time, there was an image that "fell off". It didn't hold the transparency. We rarely get a pdf or laser to to check type reflow. Imagine that?!

I have taken over about 80% of the preflighting. On my report, I will put, "DO NOT USE QUARK 7!" It stops them from using it. My suggestion is not to use Q7 unless it is built in Q7.

Frank

Comment

We too have been seeing similar results when using Quark 7 to open Quark 6 or older files.
            We seen odd things like running head text boxes shift position; Quark 7 inserting symbols to empty spaces; same fonts load in Quark 6.5 but in 7 we see menu-style fonts!

In short, Frank's suggestion is fairly accurate... unless created in Q7, don't open it.

Comment

Excellent feedback. Thank you all
              Daya

Comment

Dido on the Quark 7 thing. I had a job that came back to me today with the press down. Text reflowed badly! It was a text box with a lot of tabs built in it. Opened the customer doc with all of their fonts loaded and it still look wrong so I thought it was their file. I fixed it in 7 and got the press running once again.

Just to see I loaded the fonts on another machine with Quark 6 and opened the originals on that machine. Job opened fine with no reflow. Same customer fonts. Just Quark 6 vs. 7. I know it can do this crap sometimes, however I only have Quark 7 on my new workstation. Leave it to Quark to make a program that can not open on of their own files correctly that uses none of the new functions in 7.

In short you should never use 7 for anything but 7 documents. I don’t have that option. I quince with fear when I open complex docs with 7. And when I miss something Quark makes me look bad. I HATE 7.

Ok my rant is done for now thank you for reading. ;<

Comment

Here's my RANT! We don't get customer lasers, a pdf, NOTHING. No one here even thought of making such a request, so how do we even know if there's going to be a reflow, type substitution or drop type?

Oh...I know. AFTER IT'S printed.

Frank

Comment

This is why you print a proof for the customer to OK color, type wrap, correct reading order (to make sure imposition is correct), etc.

Don

Comment

Tom,

I had the same problem, so had to get Quark 6.5 just so I could ope legacy files (since I refuse to make myself look bad due to using Quark 7.3 to open Quark 6.5 documents and Quark 7 f'ing them up).

Don

Comment

4OverStandard FinishingDuploSmartsoft (Presswise)AleyantCanonKBAUltimate
                      4OverStandard FinishingDuploAleyantCanonGraph ExpoLabelexpoKBAKBASmartsoft (Presswise)Chili publish4 Pees

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3611 users online. 89 members and 3522 guests.

Most users ever online was 6,597 at 10:25 AM on 04-20-2018.

Working...
                      X