Fonts

sgravel

How is it possible for a font to show up in the font menu of a program when the font is nowhere on the computer? We are using Extensis Suitcase 11.0.2 (it's not located there either). The font was once on the computer but has since been deleted.

Re: Fonts

It's in a font cache somewhere. I would run a font cache cleaning program (which will restart the computer after it's done and while booting up, OS X will rebuild the caches). I use YASU for all maintenance on OS X myself.
http://jimmitchell.org/projects/yasu/
(Note: Be sure to download the correct version for the version of OS X you're running)

Don

> How is it possible for a font to show up in the font menu of a
> program when the font is nowhere on the computer? We are using
> Extensis Suitcase 11.0.2 (it's not located there either). The font
> was once on the computer but has since been deleted.

BECAUSE you're using Extensis Suitcase. We used it for years until OS
X. Then we spent more time trying to get fonts to behave than we did
setting pages. We tried out Insider Software's FontAgent Pro and
never looked back. Font problems are very few, very far between, and
very easy to fix the first time when they do occur.

Thanks all for the information. I also found out we are running Font Book with all the fonts enabled. That was causing problems as well.

Yes, you'll want to:
1. Uninstall all fonts you can in FontBook, and remove FontBook from your system.
2. Remove all fonts in /Library/Fonts, /System/Library/Fonts (except for Courier.dfont, Geneva.dfont, Keyboard.dfont, LastResort.dfont, LucidaGrande.dfont, and Monaco.dfont), and /Library/Application Support/Adobe/Fonts (except the Req'd folder and anything in it). Put these fonts you removed into another location on your system in case you ever need them.
3a. If using Suitcase (I use X1), you should be able to load fonts temporarily, and open a program and it see the fonts. If it doesn't see the fonts, then go back to Suitcase, select all the temporarily loaded fonts and don't remove them, just deactivate then reactivate the fonts, then the program should now see it. Why? I don't know, but I suspect this deactivate/reactivate forces Suitcase to create new font caches.
3b. If you don't want to use a font manager, you could copy your fonts to /Users/Username/Library/Fonts (make an alias on your desktop), your applications should see them immediately, and remove them from that folder/trash the copies when done with your job.
4. If none of the above work, use a font cache cleaner (the program YASU I mentioned has one in addition to other maintenance tools).

Don

In /Library/Application Support/Adobe/Fonts, did you remove the Req'd folder? If so, put it back.

Don

Yes, I'm such a loser. That's exactly what I did. But, by the time I realized what I did, I put all the fonts back!!

sgravel,

Don't be so down on yourself. It takes time to learn. Glad you got it working.

Don

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back