custom Bates numbering while copying litigation originals

Rick

Registered Users
We do a lot of litigation copying with custom bates numbering for law firms.
We use Canon 7095, 8500 and 600 copiers. Most times clients want a constant case reference at the front and extra's 0's like BLT0000167 to BLT000234.
The lawyers give us hard copy originals with assorted stapled sets and different file folders etc.
We currently use Quark and Adobe to create the numbers in a pdf file. Then we output the pages and put them back in the machine to make the copies from originals collating and stapling copies as submitted. If we get a jam the operator goes to the pdf file and reprints the appropriate number so everything stays in sequence.
Does anyone have recommendations on a better way to do this without buying the $15,000 Ribstone work station my Canon salesman suggests?
While this seems to work easily and cost very little besides an extra click it also seems as if there has to be a better way.

Rick, if you can give me a call. There are a couple of tools that I can recommend based on how you want to implement them.

Hi Rick, you got my wheels turning...... If I wanted to spend a lot less than the $15 grand I'd grab a (high speed auto feed scan to pdf) scanner and team it up with my Auto-Number PRO II+ MAC OSX software. The software will import a multi page pdf document, add the numbers and either print directly to the printer or save as a numbered pdf file for batch printing at a later time. Eliminates the extra click charge and you don't need to mess with Quark. You've also got a nice little numbering program for other projects.

http://qualitypresssoftware.com

Thanks for the replies Matt and Mike

Thanks for the replies Matt and Mike

Matt,
I look forward to your ideas. I will call tomorrow when my pre-press mgr can also be on the phone.

Mike,
I am not sure if you have also accounted for the fact that the copies must be made to duplicate the originals including staples, etc.
We also have to restaple all originals etc.
The .005 click charge would be great to save but it is the time and accuracy that are my main concern.
Please keep those wheels spinning :)

Rick

We do a lot of litigation copying with custom bates numbering for law firms.
We use Canon 7095, 8500 and 600 copiers. Most times clients want a constant case reference at the front and extra's 0's like BLT0000167 to BLT000234.
The lawyers give us hard copy originals with assorted stapled sets and different file folders etc.
We currently use Quark and Adobe to create the numbers in a pdf file. Then we output the pages and put them back in the machine to make the copies from originals collating and stapling copies as submitted. If we get a jam the operator goes to the pdf file and reprints the appropriate number so everything stays in sequence.
Does anyone have recommendations on a better way to do this without buying the $15,000 Ribstone work station my Canon salesman suggests?
While this seems to work easily and cost very little besides an extra click it also seems as if there has to be a better way.
There is a better way. Call me any time and I can help you with some software choices for pdf. My name is Ron. C: 323-632-4425 or email me at [email protected]

Problems With Adobe Bates Numbering

Problems With Adobe Bates Numbering

Somebody asked me in a post about using the footer function in Adobe Pro or Standard for adding numbers. Adobe Pro does provide this function. However, using this function can result in problems. Sometimes numbering is not applied because of the type of pdf document. then there are no options. More importantly, if any document manipulation has taken place, you run the risk of Adobe not being able to undo the numbering. This is always the case if the document is "examined" and certain type of data is removed. I used to use Adobe's numbering at work, but it caused me so many headaches, it wasn't worth it. That's why I always recommend using Bates Blaster software at Bates Blaster Software (Electronic Bates Stamping for PDF's - Home - San Gabriel, CA
There are no "undo" issues. Some other programs that may seem just as useful cause problems when the file is moved to another location. If that happens, undo does not function. Besides, Bates Blaster is only $29.99.
Also, good luck if you want do add exhibit numbering along with page numbers in Adobe. You will still have to do one file at a time. Any copy service that has law firms as clients should pass on Adobe, and buy Bates Blaster.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back