Backing up RSI data

whook88

We have a lot of exact reprints that we want to keep on the server. The problem is that they take up a lot of space. I would like to copy/archive the jobs to an external hard drive, then re-register them into Rampage without them copying the data to our main server (ie; keep the data on the external drive). Is there a way to do this or how do others keep ripped data for exact reprints?

Thanks for any help.

Re: Backing up RSI data

You can archive and re register your signature rsi data with Rampage PATHway. It's quick and easy. Once you've archived the data you can store it however you like.
We store our files on AIT3 tapes then restore them to the server as needed.

Edited by: davezig on Jan 8, 2008 4:03 PM

Thanks, but I don't think that's what I want. I want the jobs to stay in the rampage client, but move from the main server to an external drive. In other words, I want to originally rip the data on one server (ramvol), once it's printed and gone, then move it to an external drive attached to the RIP pc, but still be registered in Rampage client, just not on the main drive.

Hope I'm explaining myself clearly. Thanks for the suggestions.

I don't know enough about the mechanics/hardware on Rampage to say, "You can't do that." I think what he just said to do really makes a little sense if you can't keep all the files registered in RSM client. Using that software to register it from the separate drive just may do it quickly and effeciently.

Arrg. We use the oldest tape drive, probably built somewhere around 312 AD. That drive should only be used as daily back up and not for reusable archiving. About 1 out of 10 tapes die. i'm glad that's not my responsibility! We just should get a punched tape or maybe 96 column cards the way things are going.

Frank

Edited by: Frank on Jan 18, 2008 1:28 AM

I've never done this, but you can specify multiple Job Volume's in the Rampage Preferences...could you not have a network volume that had older archived data and one with your current jobs? Imagine you would have to rebuild the page list each time you move jobs around.

What about a separate RAID just for RSI? Will that work on the Rampage Systems config?

Frank

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back