From Nexus to RAMpage - has anyone done it?

prepress labels

Hello!

Has anyone out there gone from EskoArtworks' Nexus software to RAMpage? How's it working out for you?

I work at a small label printing company that currently runs EskoArtworks' Nexus software for ripping to plates. Our printing processes are about 50% wide format offset and 50% narrow web.

Our offset prepress system is all computer-to-plate, but we're still on film-to-plate on the web side. We're looking at CTP systems, and in the process, possibly switching our prepress software to RAMpage. Just curious as to anyone's experience doing this. Is RAMpage even a good idea for a label printer? Let me know your thoughts. Thanks!

You have a great label solution that has modules to make it a great offset solution, RAMpage is a very good commercial page rip solution but not a label solution. Stick with Nexus.

We use Rampage for labels, forms etc on continuous web machines. Works fine got a great feature for gap in form built in. But if it aint broke etc

A

Why not let your current investment in your Nexus workflow work for you to get into the Automation Engine 10 solutions for Labels. That combined with DeskPack Plugins for Adobe Illustrator may be the opportunity you are looking for.

Nexus is clearly a better solution for multiple markets (CP, Label, Packaging). Rampage has a much cheaper yearly Maintenance cost. But that only gives you support and not new versions of the software. This may not be a big deal as I'm not sure how often they update rampage anymore. Other problem I have with rampage is the amount of hardware you need (PC's) to run the workflow and drive output devices. Nexus is 1 box. Rampage is many depending on amount of devices. That being said, my big concern with Rampage is how long is it going to be around? I have heard rummers that they are within 12 months of closing shop. Not sure if this is true, but if you stopped by their booth at Graph Expo this year you would be concerned in the fact that they had a tiny 5 x 10 booth staffed by 2 people. Not encouraging.

Rampage can run on one box no problem, I hope they aren't struggling would be a shame to lose them.

Rampage is alive and doing well. I used them at another company for both Sheetfed Offset & Narrow Web Flexo and it worked well. We left Prinergy for Rampage at my present company about 4.5 yrs ago and haven't looked back. They are coming out with some slick new interfaces for those that are branching off into digital so that everything can still be on one system, only using the Rip on the digital machine as a receiver. Also a new toner/ink drop option for digital to help with some of the piling problems that occur.

Rampage has always been in the black. They have no debt to deal with and all they do is a workflow. You call for tech support and you get it while you wait on the phone for less then a minute. I have used Rampage for over 12 years and wouldn't use anything else and I've used a lot of different systems over the past 32 years in the trade.

... But that only gives you support and not new versions of the software. This may not be a big deal as I'm not sure how often they update rampage anymore...

That is not entirely true. With the Support Contract you get any incremental, "dot" upgrades for free.

That being said, my big concern with Rampage is how long is it going to be around? I have heard rummers that they are within 12 months of closing shop.

I've been hearing that same rumor for about 7 years now, mostly from Kodak resellers, trying to push Prinergy, and now look at the shape Kodak is in.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back