Spot varnish

deb6562

Any ideas on how to set a spot varnish in rampage for files exported as pdf's out of Indesign CS3.

When I try to set them in rampage I get boxes around my graphics.

Using Rampage v10.5

Thanks for any help

Re: Spot varnish

Hello Deb, this should be a matter of turning on interactive trapping and the selecting the object desired. If the original object has a box around it then this is what the selection will be. It is possible your selection will need to be in some sort of clipping path, but it is hard to tell without seeing the actual pdf. If you have pitstop 7.x and acrobat pro v8 you can select the desired content for varnish and create it in acrobat instead, this is another option and will also tell you if the box is real or some other issue, either way you should know where the problem lies.

good luck

john

John,

Could you elaborate on the "If you have pitstop 7.x and acrobat pro v8 you can select the desired content for varnish and create it in acrobat instead" statement? We just created a job that had spot varnish in Indesign and made it by creating a second layer for the varnish and building it that way, is there an easy way to do this in Acrobat, or did I misunderstand?

Thanks,
Terry

Yes , pitstop 7 has the option to create a varnish plate from an object. Technically you could use pitstop 7.0 and acrobat 7, but i use acro 8, and ps 7.2. If you select your object with the inspector tool and prepress tab you have the varnish option. Either way it is in pitstop 7.x. i have used this several times with no issues, but I have only tried on simple pic. boxes or vector objects. I suppose you could convert text to outlines and select specific letters also.

> {quote:title=deb6562 wrote:}{quote}
> Any ideas on how to set a spot varnish in rampage for files exported as pdf's out of Indesign CS3.
>
> When I try to set them in rampage I get boxes around my graphics.
>
> Using Rampage v10.5
>
> Thanks for any help

Our vendors generally kick it back to us requesting for missing varnish layer and provide them new file with just spot varnish layer.

I'm sure Pitstop can handle it, but probably a good idea to hold your clients responsible for files they submit as well... especially if they failed to follow your submission guideline. The purpose is not to piss off your clients but to remind them.... it takes two to tangle!

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back