Has anyone reviewed the JDF video on Rampage's site?

jbbbarr

Curious thing I noticed when viewing the video is that the client used says Rampage v11. Don't know if this means much but I did not see any difference between 11 and 10.5. Is it just in the underlying integration with Metrix and Xerox, or are there real additions I have missed. Going by the demo is pretty much the same way I have been using JDF out of Preps, nothing new.

Please tell me that v 11 is not just another way to increase the revenue stream, and that there is new and improved functionality.

Re: Has anyone reviewed the JDF video on Rampage's site?

Metrix integration is there. They are also working on "speed improvements" for PDF trapping engine. Do you need it? You will have to pay for it. It used to be that version was the same for 2-3 years but now they change so quickly. Anyone remembers when 9.0 was released and when 10.0 was released?

rampage is working on v10.6 to be compatible with metrix 3.0.
I know rampage is working on v11 but does anyone one know what
some of the new features will be?

Just got the following email this morning, looks promising:

<Think about 8 hours of processing cut down to less than two hours!

You no longer have to trade speed for quality when dealing with transparent effects.

Version 11.0 features a revamped PDF Trap Engine that runs 25 to 45 percent faster on legacy hardware and more than three times faster on the newest and fastest Rampage Quad Core Workstation.

Want more speed? Version 11.0 marks the starting point for the Rampage Threaded RIP Option, which allows two RIPs to run in parallel with auto load balancing. This can help you run five to six times faster.

The performance of the Threaded RIP Option is comparable to spending $27,500 for another RIP and PC. We cut that down to size too. To find out more, please register for one of the upcoming webinars.>

I got that email a few weeks ago I think, unless they sent out another and I didn't get it. I wonder if they also fixed the PDF OPI issue with Indy CS3 in this update?

There's nothing they can do about PDF OPI in CS3 because that's something Adobe changed. Place a PDF FPO in CS3 and Go export a PDF and check it with pitstop, it strips all OPI comments. If you need to preserve PDF OPI, you have to use CS2. Nothing Rampage can do about that unfortunately. I know because I ran into the same problem. Even contacted Adobe and showed it to them. Haven't heard back... Here's praying for CS4.

Edited by: pdfguy on May 20, 2008 7:19 AM

Well I got Dov from these forums working on it. I sent him all the support files and hope he can figure it out. BTW if you have to use CS3 save the FPO's as EPS's and it will work. According to Dov, Adobe hasn't changed anything in PDF export, but you and I and everyone I know that uses OPI knows something has changed.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back