Grayscale images on Epson 9800

Hende

Friends,

Is it possible to achieve a true black grayscale image using an Epson 9800 and Rampage 10.5? The "monochrome" setting in the proof profile produces more of a sepia. I'm looking for a result similar to the "Advanced B&W Photo" setting when printing directly from the Epson driver. I'm fairly new to RAMpage, so I hope there is something simple that I am missing.

Thanks

The 9800 is being color managed using Rampage ICC.
When outputting a grayscale image using the "monochrome" setting the results are very similar to outputting a grayscale image using the "Color: Black" in the print settings of the Epson driver. I can come closer to the "Advanced B&W Photo" by turning off CMY and checking the "Don't correct 100% black" when I send the file from RAMpage, but it seems to add a yellow tint and has too much contrast.
This may be okay for one color jobs, but I need to be able to send a four color imposition with grayscale images.
Does any one know if RAMpage offers tech support?

They offer tech Support but not for ICC profiles.

Have you checked the calibration of your proofer lately? We have the same set up as you and I have seen this when the proofer is going out of calibration.

My own preference is to leave the "Don't correct 100% black" off. I have had images with 100 K in them and the proof looks awful with some parts of an image uncorrected.

Well, that may be part of the problem. The color management was set up before I started working here. The guy that they had trained left a couple of months after I started and no one else knows how to do it. I guess I'm going to have to stumble my way through it.

We have an i1 spectro and use the ProfileMaker software. Any tips on how to get started?

To get started I recommend reading over the info that comes with Rampage, all of this should be on the last upgrade CD you received.

In the Rampage Extras Folder, there is a folder called "Using Epson 9800 with Rampage"

In the Rampage Options Folder find the PDF "ICC Support Notes.pdf"

The Yahoo group "Rampage Workflow" is also a great place to ask questions. Several color management gurus help people out there and I have been helped on several occasions.

what we do is take a file and convert it to grayscale and then paste that information into each channel of a cmyk file and then take the cmy channels to a 30% ghost, we then RIP that file with no profile and run it with ICC turned off on our inkjet, the other alternative is to make a new profile with MAX black generation, this will allow you to actually send a grayscale to your inkjet and it will actually priny black only but it generally comes out a bit weak as it's only 1 color...

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back