Workflow Time

Franknater

I don't know if we're hardware delayed (old system) or if the Rampage workflow is just longer OR, we're going about it all wrong. I've only used Rampage for 6 months.

If I am going to make a change on one page, lets say, 8.5 X 11, from this 28X40 layout, it will take at least 1 hour before I'm ready to proof or plate. I make my change, RIP that page, send over my Preps .eps then RIP it. Once that is done, it is ready to plate or proof.

It takes nearly .5 hours to send to the Epson 10600 and that's just to send!

We are a little behind, Rampage 10.1.19b.

Any input would be appreciated.

Frank

Re: Workflow Time

what is your hardware like? are you on gigabit ethernet?

for sending to your 10600, are you doing a full res proof? for our imposition proofs we do them at 360 dpi, plain paper, no need to do 720 or 1440 in our case.

Frank,

Don't forget you only have to re register your preps eps again you don't have to recreate it and reregister it. Saves time.

AjR

We have gigabit for the network. Our settings for the Epson only have 720 or 1440. For Imposition proof, we use a Quick Proof setting (Inkslimit & linerization) which there is no color match and a light color for position. The transfer time seems the same for a Quick Proof and the regular proof.

As for the registering of the Preps .eps, I'm lost with that one. If you're talking about resending the .eps from Preps, yes. It's a step we don't do because that short cut has bitten us, but not too hard (the change was made, but the new file also had a new name...r1 was added).

Frank

Edited by: Frank on Oct 29, 2007 10:20 PM

what epson are you using? you should have a 360 DPI option. Might only be available if you have plain paper setting.

I assume you are using opi for the single page eps. Since you are on an old version I know that pdf trap engine is not slowing the rip down.
Are you ripping single or dual rasterization? The impo's should always be dual raster. What speed of processor is the Rampage boxes using and how much ram? In my workflow even a extremely complex 8.5 x 11 page should not take more then 5 minutes. I am a 10 year vet of the Rampage workflow and the numbers you are getting are way out of line. If you have a support contract call them their support is the best in the industry.

Make sure you have ICC turned off for the Quick Proof as well, that will slow you down.

+I assume you are using opi for the single page eps. Since you are on an old version I know that pdf trap engine is not slowing the rip down.+

That is correct...

+Are you ripping single or dual rasterization? The impo's should always be dual raster. +
Yes, Impo's are dual.

+What speed of processor is the Rampage boxes using and how much ram?+
Nevermind. I had to do some digging. We're not even in the GHz era.

+In my workflow even a extremely complex 8.5 x 11 page should not take more then 5 minutes. I am a 10 year vet of the Rampage workflow and the numbers you are getting are way out of line. If you have a support contract call them their support is the best in the industry.+

I appreciate the insight. I think it would be best to call 911. :)

Frank

PS. The Epson is 10600. I really haven't had much time to dig in to see what we're "playing" with. It's been 12-14 hour days and once I get passed 10 hours, the will to know my EPP creator is just not there.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back