Rampage 10.5

Re: Rampage 10.5

do you have any info on what features are being added to the upgrade?

I just got 10.4 installed yesterday (I know, late to the game)

10.5 is already out, I am just getting the 10.4 upgrade installed next week. Guess I am way behind the spinning beach ball.

I love RAMpage, you all know that. But from what I've heard on the yahoo board and PPF I think I'll wait till 11 is out, then maybe I'll get 10. LOL

10.5 is in beta, it will be demo'd at print expo.
You can download a pdf from Rampages website that tells a few things about the release.
The main things look like enhancements to pdf trap engine.

Yep I'm with you Lammy I'm on 9.4 and Rampage in the past has allowed to piggyback 2 upgrades for the cost of one.......I hope they will still do that.

I'm heading to the show..........give everyone a heads up.

I like the new forum format.

Rampage JVX
Brisque 5.x
Preps 5.x
OS 9 - 10.x
Win9x, XP, NT, 2000 Workstation,
2000/03 Server G4, G5
Epson 10600, 10000, 9800, 9600, 9000
Hyphen Impoproof

Saw it at the show. Some nice enhancements to pdf trap engine, (Dieline function has been added so its the same as the nPdf or eps workflow) but the best thing I saw was Metrix, as soon as version 3 of Metrix comes out I'm dumping preps and going JDF. Man what a inpressive job planning and impo software package those people have and Rampage is going to add more and more automatic functions based on Metrix.
http://www.lithotechnics.com/

> {quote:title=macphenom wrote:}{quote}
>Man what a inpressive job planning and impo software package those people have . . .

Is it really an Imop app? I trolled through their site a while ago after reading an article. Looked like "neat" planning stuff, but I didn't see anywhere the pushed it as imposition aside from the JDF.

Won't you need an Impo app that will read in the JDF information still?

EPP Manager • Brass City Printery
OSX 10.4.10 • RAMpage 9.4 • Dynastrip 4.2
EFI Colorproof XF • Avantra 30 • Epson 7600

Metrix was mainly built for imposition.I have been watching it since Print 05 and I think we are about to purchase a copy. It is also JDF capably which is nice.

It was originally designed for gang impo's but it has been expanded to do all kinds of impo's.
It can't do eps files like Rampage gets from preps but it can do pdfs or in Rampages case it will feed the Rip
JDF info. The website only talks about what is released at this point which is Vers. 2.2
Wait until version 3 is out and see if you can get a webex demo, its quite inpressive as to what it can do.
Say you have a 300 + page perfect bound book and you have to insert in the middle of the book a couple of
4pg sections and maybe a single page that gets blown in and so you have your impos done and all of
a sudden the binder says you need to move the 4pg up two sigs in the layout. In metrix you just drag the
4pagers to where you want them and metrix re-paginates on the fly. I can't do it justice in this forum so my advise
would be to get a demo. Just an fyi, Rampage is working extremely close with Metrix and if what I heard at the show is true
Rampage will be building all their automation in future releases around Metrix.

I checked Metrix website and I didn't see Rampage as a supported workflow, but maybe they working on it and it will be in ver 3.

I see. What is JDF anyway? What is the advantage? Forgive my ignorance but I never used this thing. I hardly know Preps.

Sorry for not getting back sooner but vacation called.
Here is Adobes synopsis.

"JDF is based on a special form of Extensible Markup Language (XML), a non-proprietary information carrier that can link and refer files to multiple production devices. Using JDF, one can describe the intent of a printed piece, as well as each process step required to achieve that intent. Think of it as a smart, self-directed electronic job jacket that holds not only the job content, but also instructions to interact with other JDF-enabled devices, automatically routing the job through each workflow step — from creation to final print production — yielding greater automation, speed, cost efficiency, and ease-of-use.

In addition to streamlining print production tasks, JDF expands workflow integration beyond the pressroom and into the enterprise itself. JDF-enabled systems can facilitate estimating, materials ordering, or interface with other databases such as CRM software and supply chain information. With this capability, JDF further integrates the business of printing (process steps) into the print business (enterprise)."

What Metrix does is it will give you a blank impo, say a 96 page saddle stitched book, it does not care if you have no pages linked to the impo yet it just knows eventually it will contain 96 pages. You then rip the JDF template through Rampage and Rampage will wail until
it has the 96 single pages ripped and then it will automatically impose the job based on the info contained in the JDF impo file.
Preps also can write JDF but its just a little more hands on upfront as compared to Metrix.

I guess JDF is useful if you do the same jobs all the time eg. postcards or business cards and you have some predefined templates made that you can re-use them without touching any impo application. But I don't see any advantage with JDF templates if almost every job has it's own custom layout.

Its just another way of doing the same thing that we do in Preps except for the fact that Metrix templates a so simple to build a trained chimp could do them.
We rip around 4000 pages a week of some pretty high-end pieces and I actually have a dedicated impo person to do all the impo's. Almost all our work is custom templates.
We do annual reports, puzzles, boxes, etc. The savings in time for us comes in the fact that my impo man just gets a copy of the job ticket creates the jdf template and once the operator is done with the job and the pages finish ripping the impo kicks off automatically with no further operator intervention. My impo guy can do 3 to 4 times the amount of templates then we can get ripped in a shift so we are always ahead of the curve when it comes to impo's. Here is another advantage, say your second shift operator drops in a
simple 96 page book at night before going home and if the files have no issues you will walk in the next morning to imposed flats.

Hello, I would like to ask is there any possibility to get the RAMpage for educational purposes (I'm studying printing)

Thank you

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back