Spnning beach ball

ddbray

Does any one know why I get the spinning beach ball just about everytime I access the client. I'm on a G5 1.6ghz gigabit connection to the server. All of our macs get this but mine seems tobe the worst.

Re: Spnning beach ball

how big is your pagelist? How many clients, rips, shooters, etc. What rampage version?

Edited by: Lammy on Aug 30, 2007 6:59 PM

Page list is 30,078
Rampage version 10.4
7 clients
2 rips
2 RPD
1 shooter for Plate setter

are all 30,000 pages in one job? when we get a joblist with several thousand pages the refresh starts to suffer.

are you viewing all pages in your page manager or just pages related to the job you are working on? 4800 jobs, dang...

I only view the job I'm working on.

I work at Communicorp which is owned by Aflac. We print all there brochures and since it is all pretty standard we use JDF for about 95% of there work and since they go though these brochures pretty quickly we just keep it all on line so all we have to do is plot another set of plates and then print.

I personally think that the problem is the Network and the way it is designed but I'm not an IT guru so i cannot say for sure that that is the problem.

Do you have a Rampage Phone Support contract? If so, you should call them. They've helped me track down some really obscure problems before. And if you don't have the contract, I suggest you get it if you can. Sometimes I call them 5 times a day. If I didn't have the contract that would eat us up at $200 a pop (it may even be $225, I can't remember). Anyway, it's the best bang-for-your-buck I know of as far as tech support goes and I couldn't do my job without it.

Good luck -- J

I always thought the spinning beach ball meant it's time to go on a vacation to the beach!

easiest way to check your network. Get the IP number of the server where the pagelist resides. Open the network utility on the mac. Do a trace route, results should be one or two hops at the most. It'll depend if your switch is managed or not. Then to a a series of pings. My average through one unmanaged switch was .387ms. 100 bit on the mac and 1000 bit on the server. Also check and see what speed your server is connected at.

Lammy,
Below are the results from the trace route. Are these normal?

Traceroute has started ...

traceroute to 172.16.**.** (172.16.**.**), 64 hops max, 40 byte packets
1 172.16.**.** (172.16.**.**) 3.155 ms 0.293 ms 0.112 ms

Shane-

I'm not great at IT, but I'd say you definitely have a network problem. That first ping at 3+ ms is WAY too slow for 100 or Gigabit. You say your having the same problem on other Macs too right? I'd run the traceroute there, and you'll probably see the same results.

Are you and the server connected to the same router? If not, can you connect a workstation directly to the router and rerun the traceroute. You should see something more on the order of .2ms or .3ms for all 3 results.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back