Color bar for spot colors (an easy way?)

eran

I just received a tricky request from the pressroom. They'd like color representation for all spot color work. For the most part our work is strictly process OR spot... vary rarely a mix of the two. All of our impositions are built with a CMYYK+50% grey balance swatches. As far as I can tell, the easiest way to fulfill the request is to import every file with a spot color filter and remapping each color to a process build. I could live with this, albeit uncomfortably, in some cases as our proofer can easily map each color back to the color it's intended to be. However this doesn't work as well (that I know of) for PDF proofs as I don't have such an easy function to change color appearance. The only fix I can figure to produce properly displaying PDFs is to re-input (with spot color filter) every file AFTER initial proof output- which doesn't sit right with me for a variety of reasons... How have others dealt with this? Is there an easy way? Perhaps some sort of EFI-esque dynamic wedge for impositions? Or am I just dreaming?

EFI-esque solution

EFI-esque solution

I just received a tricky request from the pressroom. They'd like color representation for all spot color work. For the most part our work is strictly process OR spot... vary rarely a mix of the two. All of our impositions are built with a CMYYK+50% grey balance swatches. As far as I can tell, the easiest way to fulfill the request is to import every file with a spot color filter and remapping each color to a process build. I could live with this, albeit uncomfortably, in some cases as our proofer can easily map each color back to the color it's intended to be. However this doesn't work as well (that I know of) for PDF proofs as I don't have such an easy function to change color appearance. The only fix I can figure to produce properly displaying PDFs is to re-input (with spot color filter) every file AFTER initial proof output- which doesn't sit right with me for a variety of reasons... How have others dealt with this? Is there an easy way? Perhaps some sort of EFI-esque dynamic wedge for impositions? Or am I just dreaming?

Well, possibly EFI itself. If you have Colorproof XF v. 4 and have purchased the file output option you can import a PDF and process and output it with a Dynamic Wedge, which will include the spots. With this option you can also use a device-link conversion if you choose. You can then use Color Verifer to verify spots on both proofs and press sheets. Contact me if you have further questions.

Regards,

Mike Strickler

Presumably you are using Trueflow. This can be done quite simply by editing a standard colorbar. I have attached a sample one that we use for jobs with black and various numbers of spot colors up to 5. You need to change the names of the color swatches to DS_SPOT1, DS_SPOT2, etc. This is then imported into the Color Bar tab of Flatworker with the number of spot colors set in the colorbar nominated. Trueflow then applies a spot color to each patch in the colorbar.

The above response is more sensible than mine, which upon further reflection may not work at all. XF must, as far as I know, output a file into a 4-C space, so spot colors will just convert to process. For proofing, no problem, because that output space is the wide gamut space of an inkjet, which will encompass most spot colors. Now for process equivalents to spots the Dynamic wedge is great. Otherwise, build the color bar with extra spaces for the spot plates, generically, as just suggested.

I would also look into doing something on the lines of what format has suggested. Yes you will have more colorbars but that's nothing out of the norm. You will also have more imposition templates, for CMYK and for spot or for both. You'll just have to more closely manage them. Also, your prepress files are going to have to be executed as accurately as possible so that everything falls into place more easily along the proofing and plating process.

Woah! Thanks for the responses- I hadn't received any notification so I'm rather pleased to stumble back on my thread.
The use of Dynamic Wedge on press sounds really cool but unfortunately I don't currently run XF.
On the other method... Indeed, I am using TF and I intend to begin some testing immediately after lunch. My one question (thus far) is this: must each spot color be named "DS_SPOT1, DS_SPOT..." in the import-ready PDF or will TF automatically remap each live spot color upon execution?

Good Morning! I've been experimenting with using DS_SPOT# swatches in color bars and I must say, I'm pleased. (Thanks Format!) However, Is there a way to prevent trueflow from rendering the spot's color as the color of the patch in the EPS during an OutlinedPDF output?
Or perhaps a way to configure Acrobat to disregard the colors values and reference the Adobe or Pantone libraries?
Thanks!

Thanks, Format. Worked perfectly for me as well.
The Proof PDF will also show the actual spot color from the Input-PDF, amazing:)

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back