TrueFlow "eating" proofing files

rich apollo

First, I know that I'm behind the times. I'm running TrueFlow 2.21, but I don't hold the purse strings.

About half of the time if I try to generate proofs of jobs that have more than 1 side (like a work and back form) or have multiple signatures I don't get all the proofing files I've requested. The log shows that the file were created, but one (or more) simply won't show up. Anybody know what would cause this?

rich

Re: TrueFlow "eating" proofing files

I would have to guess trueflow is overwriting your proofing files. Each proofing file must have a unique name, otherwise it overwrites the same name on each form/signature. You can edit this in the job ticket by adding the form number / front/back to the proofing file name.

I'm using the wildcard characters for the naming of the proofing files - %J%O%F - so that names the proofing files with the JobName, Form Number and Side. Each side +should+ have a unique name, but I think you've hit on it. TrueFlow thinks it's completed the task, then it acts as if there's a cache file somewhere that interferes with the process when it's re-initiated. I'll often enter a series of characters at the end of the name and *poof* I get my proofing file.

rich

RIch, I'm curious if this has completely solved your problem as we are running TF 3.12 and occasionally one of the tif's we write for the ink jet rip will not make it to the designated hot folder, it's not always the last tif either. Screen engineers suggested that it may be the same file name but I always add the time and date to the end of the file name so it's always different. The Kodak rip (Best 5.0) is watching the folder located on the General volume so it's constantly polling the watch folder, I don't have any RIP processes applied so all sends within Kodak rip are manual. Other than something happening while the file is writing locally to the General volume while the polling is going on (could that corrupt the writing of tif?), I'm not sure what could explain this, anyone have more ideas?

Keith Paulsen

Hey, Keith. No - nothing has solved my issue, yet. Your situation sounds surprisingly similar to mine - I'm running TrueFlow 2.21 and the Kodak Matchprint Inkjet RIP (v 2.6 - I don't know what version that is in "Best-speak") is watching the designated folder on the General volume.

rich

Rich, sorry for the long reply but we have been busy. I'm wondering if that's the issue as the Kodak rip is watching this folder causing some kind of issue when the file is written to the general volume. I'm going to turn that feature off on the kodak rip (auto polling) and run with complete manual loading of tifs. I will report back after a week of running like this.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back