Narrow web, wide web?

gordo

In flexo land everyone talks narrow web, wide web, mid web. Do these terms refer to the actual width of the web? If so, what are their widths? Or do the terms refer to something else?

Yes, this refers to the web's width, which in turn affects all the subsystems, components and finishing chain of the product. It is akin to sizes of sheets in sheet-fed presses - B1, B2, B3 etc. Sorry, I don't know the widths, I only worked on a narrow web press - 20-33cm wide.

Yeah I've been in web printing for over 35 years, correct me if I'm wrong - narrow would be web widths up 26" like on a Harris M110 press it's max is 26" but can print as narrow as allowed, example 13".
Wide webs such as M600 38" and as narrow as needed (although not good for blankets & rollers) I've seen 17" on a 38" press - now I'm exposed to a Sunday 4000 and we can print 57" and as narrow as needed, we've already ran 27", 33" and 35" etc...

I believe narrow web label presses can be....? 10" or whatever is specified - I'm not fluent with labels.

In flexo land everyone talks narrow web, wide web, mid web. Do these terms refer to the actual width of the web? If so, what are their widths? Or do the terms refer to something else?

For flexo, there can be web widths of about 2 meters wide. The presses also run 400 to 500 meters per minute. This was the situation in the early 1990's when I was more familiar with the flexo capabilities. It probably has improved since then.

We're a wide web shop. Have printing area up to 51" across at speeds between 800 - 1,000 fpm.

Previously worked narrow web, up to 13" at speeds between 150 -500 fpm.

Not sure where narrow ends and mid picks up.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back