STRIKE THROUGH VARNISHING

Paultheprinter

I was reading an oldish thread which meantioned strike through varnishing. firstly what is it?, how is it applied e.g litho varnish first than aqueous, do you need to strip blankets and does any body over this side of the pond use it?

Im currious as it sound like a usefull tool to use.

Thanks in advance Paul

Re: STRIKE THROUGH VARNISHING

Paul - in a very recent thread - Spot Gloss Varnish or AQ Coating - I wrote about printing a spot matt varish on the last unit and then an overall high gloss on the coater - from what I understand - this may be strile through varnishing

This article from an American print mag seems to show it.

The glossy and matte effects were accomplished using a strike-through varnish. The dull varnish was put down in the areas that were to stay matte, then an overall UV flood coat was applied. Where varnish had been applied, the gloss coat dulled down as it cured. Laux explains the benefit of this technique: “You can produce a spot gloss contrast without having to make special coating plates. For the varnish, we were using a regular printing plate in a regular printing unit, so we could achieve as much detail as we wanted. Otherwise, you have to specially cut a coating blanket for the areas where you want it glossy, and that blanket is only good for that job.”

I have only seen samples about 5 years ago (I may have also seen it being ptd at Heidelberg ) - I was interested - but it is a cheap spot UV option and my runs are so small it is easier for me to send the work to Celloglass - than disrupt press time

Peter

Thank god you replied to this new post, i thought it was going down the list never to be answered. This seems to be a realy easy way to add contrasting varnishes to a job, there must be something holding this back as everybody would be using it. I assume it must be gloss levels and the fact that laminating/uv varnishing is relativley cheap compared to extra M/R time on a multicolour press. Cheers for the info

Paul

Paul we just dont get involved with designers anymore - we got MetalFX certification and no one really knows how to make that work in images
Peter

By designers do you mean mac operaters?, i asked my studio manager if he could do some UCR the once, he asked if i meant removing the blue form under the images! later this day i mentioned that to my production manager who replied "if its a new software program which has just came out then he wont know it" and walked off proudy putting me in my place. I know this isnt the right place or the right time but the industry is full of incompetent individuals who fall into management positions and then strive to choke any input from production members as not to undermine there authority. Rant over

Rants are good arn,t they - I always say to people - write a letter - and would you mind showing me - They write it and then we agree to tear it up = always the best:)

OK

Its my clients designers I cant get hold off - when you think I have received nearly 300 jobs since we started this year - it would be impossible

I think the idea of writing a letter is ace, its a real way of letting go of the things we cannot change. Hate it or love it were all in this together, if that means going to the ends of the earth to achieve a goal then so be it.

thankyou, Paul the less frustrated printer

Edited by: Paul Green on Jan 15, 2008 5:59 PM

We use strike thru all the time only we are not using UV. Instead we use an aqueous coating and dull varnish.

We create a plate for the "dull" parts of the job using Kustom Group KB-3074 and then use Kustom Group KS-900 Strike Thru Gloss Aqueous.

These products react together and prevent the aqueous from sticking to the dull areas. Everything turns out really nice. Not as shinny as UV but certainly less expensive.

You can NOT use any dull varnish and any aqueous. These two products are designed to work together. If you don't use these, the end result will not work.

We are doing some testing by adding PMS 877 silver to the aqueous coating to hopefully create more of a gloss or shine and have more contrast. If anyone is interested, I'll post results next week.

As Dfagen mentioned you can not use the varnish alone. It will not cure or dry hence using it on an offline coater probably will not work. The other disadvantage is the design needs to be a good one. The strike through works best on rich blacks and dark colors. Lighter colors the effect is less noticeable. We have added very small amounts of opaque white to the strike through varnish to make it show better but too much ruins the effect.

What is the contact number for Kustom Group KB-3074 . I would like more information, - i did a quick google search and came up empty

Thanks

It is available through Braden Sutphin. The phone number is 216-271-2300. 711V4053F is the product code nunmber. This is the most technogically advanced product now available. Has proven not to pile and build up on metering rollers. Also gives very good matte contrast through the gloss aqueous coating.

Figuring mileage on dull strike thru varnish

Figuring mileage on dull strike thru varnish

Is there a formula for figuring varnish coverage?
I have an ink mileage calculator and just figured a job for dull strike thru and was made to believe that I have to order 400 #'s of varnish!! 52,000 sheets 28x40, 90% coverage.
ANy help would be appreciated.
Rick

Here is their web site. We get the product from our local supplier.

Kustom Group

Remember, you have to use both the KS-900 and KB-3074 together for the process to work. Your ink supplier should be able to help you with this.

Good luck!

Dfagen or anyone with experience with dull strike thru varnish

- I have a question in regards to the specially formulated srtike-thru dull varnish and AQ coating that you run inline when trying to get that contrasting affect. Does the press operator have to lay the varnish on really heavy so the gloss AQ coating doesn't overtake the parts that you're trying to dull? Also, feel free to add any other production tips that you may have run across. Thanks!

Rj litho

Rj litho

Mr D, How did you make out with the silver in your coating ,we run strike thru uv and aq quite often and add it or opaque white to the varnish . sounds interesting adding silver .

RJ

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back