Hostmann-Steiberg Inks

meddington

I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with Hostmann-Steinberg inks and could comment on their experiences, particularly the Rapida series for sheetfed?

Re: Hostmann-Steiberg Inks

Michael:
I know someone who's using the Reflecta series with rave reviews, good price, bright colors, good tone repro. They'll have to be ISO2846. I'm going to look deeper into this product myself.
John Lind
Cranberry Township, PA
724-776-4718

We have just switched to Non Fade Hostman Inks for Poster production for our S/F presses. 40" and 77". We run much less water than Pertech Inks thus we have been getting better dry back results (less dryback). Better tack, trap numbers. We sometimes (with Pertech) had problems with back trapping into the latter run inks in the sequence. Not sure which series we are using though.

Been using Hostman for about 4 months now. We like them.

Hi there,

i believe that the H&s inks are the best on the market, in the UK i was told by a ink rep that there are two streams of H&S ink as they produce a lower quality under the same name in the far east and the top notch in produced in europe somewhere.Dont know how true it is

Paul

Re: Hostmann-Steinberg Inks

Hi Paul,

Just out of curiosity, do you use the PMS or HKS color system? When we introduced our Morning Flight Print Estimating Software a couple of years ago, we included the HKS system. So far, out of nearly 4,000 installations, we've had zero comments on HKS, lots on PMS. Pantone still seems to be the big gorilla.

Hal

Hi hal,

excuse my ignorance, but i dont understand your question. Could you please repost and i will try to answer any questions you have. Another point to note is that Heidelberg in the UK used Hostman steinberg ink when they were demonstrating there CD74. So it must be good.

Paul

Thanks for all the responses.

The reason for my post is that we recently did a test run with Hostmann Rapida inks on our Heidelberg SM 102. The press operator had a very hard time stabilizing the ink. Adjusting for high densities resulted in the inks dropping too low, and vice versa, with the operator overshooting his targets. He also indicated that the black seemed weakly pigmented and he had to lay down the ink very thick to achieve the desired density. A co-worker said hey he had heard/read somewhere that these inks require chilled rollers, though I can find no indication of this anywhere.

Michael-

We have tried both the Perfecta and the Rapida series from H-S on a Komori 628 with chillers; My Pressman thought the Rapida setup a little quicker for ease backing up short run work, but the bindery did not care for the ink because of the following:
1) Cutter - heavy coverage on both sides on coated stock. the edges stuck.
2) Folding- handling the stock - ink came off on hands.
3) Stitch/Trim- required frequent cleaning of belts/drums from ink.

Scott:
Turn the question around, since you bring up some very good points: Which ink did the bindery LIKE that didn't have those problems? I'll buy some....
John Lind
Cranberry Township, PA
724-776-4718

Hi Paul,

You may have already answered my question. I was trying to find out how popular the proprietary HKS system is outside of Germany. Here is a full description:

http://www.hubergroup.info/lang/en/tipdf/3106E.PDF

If I'm not mistaken, Hostmann-Steinberg have developed this system and own the rights to it.

Hal

Hi Hal,

I can honestly say that i never knew about HKS until i read the link to the website. The big boys in the UK field may know whats going on but in the Uk most medium to small sized companies still would not know what pantone GOE is. Thankyou for the education

Paul

Hi, we've recently switched to the Rapida ink, used Lotus Plus from Heidelberg until it was no longer available. I run a 2 color Heidelberg GTO 52 without chilled rollers and have been having big problems with drying on the magenta and yellow especially. We were told to cut back the water but continue to have the same problem. Any sort of coverage with those two colors, the ink has been taking hours to dry, picking and straight up stick together. Have tried 2 different fountain solutions now with no improvement. Any suggestions????

Edited by: kheskins on Mar 1, 2008 2:23 PM

Im newbie here, we are using H&S inks like Rapida and Resista which are made in India, we are having problems with the dot gain, but I cant conclude yet if its the ink, we got 20% dot gain on midtone and when we changed the ink with another batch, we got around 13% on similar density. Any inputs?

Give, K+E Novavite, F 918 supreme bio a run, 100% vegetable based,
By far the best ink we have used, duct fresh, extremly stable, fast drying.

Heidelberg has recommended Hostmann-Steinberg for a new long perfector double coater press. Also Pitman distributes the ink and has resources that can provide some assistance in the press room if you were to run into problems.

Hello
In Denmark Hostmann inks are very popular and are running in nearly all Komori units.The new "Inkredible" series is a very alround ink serie. We use "Impression" in the 8 and 10 color perfecting machines and "Reflecta","Resista" ore "Impression" in the most of the straight machines.

@paultheprinter; the Hostmann-Steinberg HQ factory is in Munich, Germany. They also have a big factory in Celle, Germany.

Thanks for all the responses.

The reason for my post is that we recently did a test run with Hostmann Rapida inks on our Heidelberg SM 102. The press operator had a very hard time stabilizing the ink. Adjusting for high densities resulted in the inks dropping too low, and vice versa, with the operator overshooting his targets. He also indicated that the black seemed weakly pigmented and he had to lay down the ink very thick to achieve the desired density. A co-worker said hey he had heard/read somewhere that these inks require chilled rollers, though I can find no indication of this anywhere.

Had close to the same experience. So therefore NO comment.

We've been using HS inks for quite a long time and I must say I'm not a fan.

The "Impression" series seemed quite good, but when we finally switched to canisters our local rep seems to be able to source only the "Perfexion" series, and in my opinion it's just too damn light an ink and requires an unreasonably high amount of ink required for correct density.

Other problems I've noted are it's propensity to get EVERYWHERE through the press, flicking off roller ends and building up down the sides of the roller train and making a terrible bloody mess, and you've really got to keep an eye on the yellow "laying back" on you.

We use heaps of it too: running a job with a fair amount of coverage was averaging 1-2 kgs of CMK and 2-3 kgs of yellow PER STACK (10,000 runs).

Our factory is un-air conditioned, and as ambient temps here in Brisbane are rising, the ink is getting looser and looser and I'm having to chase my water levels up constantly to keep ahead of scumming, somewhere in the realm of 10%+ over a shift.

My 2c

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back