512 vs 3302?

TXPrinter

What are the differences between Ryobi 512 and Ryobi 3302? Is the 500 series a later model or are there significant fundamental differences between the two?

I am looking to "upgrade" from my one AB Dick 360 w. T-head to a true 2-color press in order to improve on my 2-color work esp. jobs requiring tight registration. (#10 Reg & window Envelopes and letterhead are my 2 big 2-color registration type jobs).

There seem to be a few models of the above for sale on e-bay, but are there any other candidates, eg. Hamada, that I should be considering?

Thanks for input.

The biggest difference that I know of is that the 3302 is a "portrait" press, where as the 512 is a "landscape" press like it's larger sheetfed cousins.

Hi. I am probably the one with least expertise than most of the guys here but here what I know for sure:
512 is landscape press - it is 14x20 vs 12x18 in 3302 - you feed 11x17 wide way in it.
It has stream feeder which will allow you to print faster.
I think Ryobi built it to be a rival to Heidelberg GTO taking a serious step away from small duplicator presses.
It's inking system is a lot more powerful than 3302's on the top of the fact that covering 11 inch of paper printing landscape is surely easier for the press than supplying enough ink to 18 inch long sheets printing portrait in case of heavy coverage job.
Registration board in in 512 is constructed differently - it has pull guide rather than push guide in 3302. It may not be major advantage for simple 1 or 2 color jobs but does makes big difference if order has to passed trough the press one more time.
What can pose the issue is that you may forget about making plates in Xante or HP5100 printes - plate is way larger that media this printers can handle so you'd have to upgrade your plate making system as well.
If you go for it - go for 512H model which is Continuous dampening also would be terrific if press would be new enough to have laser-cut ink keys. It is still manual adjustment but you can make notes of the settings for repeat jobs.
I am sure there is more to it and guys will chip in with more information.

Everything above is correct about the 512, however if you are not running technical 14x20 work and you are doing mostly LH and env, the feeder and ease of setup will make the 3302 more productive and way cheaper

UnlimitedBT hit the nail on the head. I'm 20 years with the 3302 and have salivated over the 500 series.

For what you propose, the 3302 is a better fit. Plates will be simpler and cheaper. We run poly plate material thru an imagesetter and develope seperately, but a daylight camera can handle 50% of the line work.

Changing blankets for envelopes is mildly tedious, but I doubt that the stream feeding 512 will setup and feed envelopes.

As stated, the 512 will flood cover better than the 3302, but your stationery needs will be better suited wiith a 3302.

How are you set for plating with trapping?

Yeah, guys are right - If you have envelopes to print it might be difficult to make stream feeder happy on 512 and if you run lots of pre-cut forms, letterheads, NCR that is already 8.5x11 a 512 may be an oveshoot. Plus anytime you will need a blanket, rollers parts - they will be more money VS 3302 which is ok if you get the work out of the press but will affect efficiency running it with small stationary. I have a ABD Century 3500S which is about the same specs machine as 3302 but with stream feeder. I kept my ABD 360 for envelopes and small things and try to run 11x17 exclusively on Century.

Great feedback - thanks

Great feedback - thanks

That is great feedback and thats why I think this site is great!! You get feedback and issues you had not thought about pop up making one think m,ore about these investments - really great, thanks. Since we focus on letter size Offset and Text grades, some cardstock, and a lot of NCR, it would appear that a 3302 is the way to go. Always appreciate input.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back