Strike-Through tips. . .

ymckman

Hi guys,

I was wondering if you had some tips to running Strike-Through. It's a new process for me so any info would help. We're currently running a Prisco dull effect varnish with the Prisco UV Coating. Do you run the varnish heavier, lighter, normal?? Run your dampening heavier, lighter, normal? On the last run I've noticed some blotchyness in the varnish areas when wet, but as it dries back it's less noticeable. I'm not sure if this is normal or I may have to adjust. I've seen, in past runs, chalking issues with the dull varnish. I've also noticed on this last run a halo around some knocked out areas of the UV blanket. It was a 2nd run for that blanket and looked like the cut edges had a little swelling around them, causing the halo around the knocked out boxes. I'm not sure if that is to be expected of UV coating blankets. Any help you guys have is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Ymckman,
I run process, then spot gloss varnish, then matte or dull varnish, then overall gloss uv coating inline. This allows the matte varnish to "bleed" thru the gloss coating and give the sheet more contrast between the gloss and dull varnish. I tend to push my varnishes slightly to insure good contrast. But, I must caution you that it can be difficult to see if the matte varnish is drying up on you so be vigilant watching the lead edge of the sheet or in any reversed type areas. As the sheet drys the contrast should get better. Good luck, Bill

sorry, in my earlier post I said that I run uv last and what I meant to write was that I run my aqueous coating down last. sorry, Bill

So when you say you are laying down the gloss varnish and then the dull/matter varnish, do you mean you're basically doing a double bump of the two varnishes over the same specific image? What does that achieve differently than just the matte/dull varnish alone before the overall AQ or UV? Just curious, with this being new to me. I'm also wondering if there is a difference between the properties of laying down AQ vs. UV on a Strike-through piece other than the obvious of the higher gloss finish. Thanks for the post Bill.

On our last run the matte area had a orange peel effect on it and it looked like the UV was overpowering the matte varnish. I thought I wasn't running enough matte so I pushed it stronger with no change. I'm not positive but it may be due to running incompatible varnish and uv coating. We were advised by our vendors to say with same manufacture products. All Brand X varnish with brand X uv coating. Not brand X varnish with brand Z coating.

You are very correct ymckman. The pair is almost as important as the product, especially with UV. If you use the wrong products together, you can get effects such as "orange peel", or "texture". Actega makes a great line of these special effects. Run varnish & water a bit higher, but yes, watch lead edge for toning or drying.

Ymckman,
When I run my spot gloss and spot dull varnish they are both spot and not on top of each other. For example, sometimes our customers will want to run large area of the dull varnish say over a black solid with type that is reversed out and then the type is printed in a color and spot gloss over the type, then finish with and overall of matte AQ coating. the coating will seal the sheet and as it drys will give you a very matte finish and the spot gloss varnish type will strike thru the matte coating giving it the matte and gloss contrast. The overall matte aq coating will also insure the job from blocking in the delivery. I haven't had any experience with uv coatings so I cannot comment on it.Hope this helps and let us know how your making out with things, Bill

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back